Thread: Dash, Launcher bar, Favorites: all the same thing?

Beans

Dash, Launcher bar, Favorites: all the same thing?

Just started with Ubuntu and while searching for info I get the impression (perhaps wrong?), that people are using the words Dash, Launcher bar, Favorites bar interchangeably. Are they all referring to the same thing, the vertical bar on the left of the desktop?

1. If so, which is the correct name?

Referring to that vertical bar on the left containing app icons, can it be made to do more? Like hold folders containing apps instead of just the apps themselves?
    Can it have multiple "pages" like 'Utilities', 'Graphics' etc.?

2. I know it is not wise to have more than one topic in a question, but one thing that has continuously bothered me is the scroll bar on the right of a window. It is narrower than what is present in windows (sorry) and therefore difficult to get the mouse pointer on it. Is there a configuration that makes it a little wider? Thanks.
    Last edited by ubantunovice2; August 10th, 2018 at 08:30 PM.

Beans

Re: Dash, Launcher bar, Favorites: all the same thing?

Just thought to add: I am using Ubuntu in an VirtualBox emulation. Within it, in Firefox the scroll bars are very thin. When I go to the same webpage in Firefox in Windows 10, the scroll bars look fine.

Also the formatting bar appears on this page viewed in Firefox in W10. It is absent in the virtual machine Ubuntu. That is why I could get no new lines, etc.