Thread: AMD Radeon HD 7610M and Radeon Driver

Beans

AMD Radeon HD 7610M and Radeon Driver

Hi everyone,

Currently I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on my Toshiba Satellite C855-255 with AMD Radeon HD 7610M GPU, which uses the fglrx driver if I'm correct. My Ubuntu install has become a bit of a mess over the last few years of using it and I want to reinstall and figured I might as well upgrade as support will stop next year for 14.04. Since the fglrx driver isn't supported anymore I was wondering if the Radeon driver is supported for my GPU? I couldn't find it in the supported list. If not supported, is there any other driver I could use or is there a Linux (preferably Ubuntu based) that still supports (and will keep supporting) the fglrx driver?

Thanks!

Beans

Re: AMD Radeon HD 7610M and Radeon Driver

Hi,

I have had great luck in the past with the AMD Catalyst Proprietary Linux Graphics Driver. These have worked for me from down to an HD 3000 series, up to at least HD 6000 series... Let me get a link for you....

Edit: Here:

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-art...easeNotes.aspx

Your card is among the supported cards.
    Last edited by deadflowr; 1 Week Ago at 08:47 PM. Reason: reset font size to forum defaults; fixed link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by charles-scoville View Post
    Hi,

I have had great luck in the past with the AMD Catalyst Proprietary Linux Graphics Driver. These have worked for me from down to an HD 3000 series, up to at least HD 6000 series... Let me get a link for you....

Edit: Here:

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-art...easeNotes.aspx

Your card is among the supported cards.
    Does not work on any Ubuntu system beyond 14.04.1's xserver version 1.15 and linux kernel 3.13.
    (I think technically it works up to 1.17 and linux kernel 3.18 (or 3.19) but none of that is supported on Ubuntu anymore)

To the op I do not know what the state is in terms of the open source radeon drivers quality on the 7610M card is.
    But the driver does support the card. How well is another thing.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

It should work fine. If you're really concerned, try a LiveUSB of Ubuntu 18.04.1 before you jump.
    I need a new signature.