Thread: How to enable and disable automatic guest log-in

Beans

How to enable and disable automatic guest log-in

Hi guys,

I am using Ubuntu Mate 16.04 on a Raspberry pi, and developing kiosks with this thing.

Here is the thing:

I have all users log-into as "Guest" when they startup.

Ive read somewhere that I can automatically have the system log them into guest upon startup...

I am very interested in this... However, If things go wrong, and it automatically starts up as guest, how do I log-in as root afterwards so I can fix the problem? Thanks

wordstar

Beans

Re: How to enable and disable automatic guest log-in

Ummm,

OK I tried out the autologin by adding the line "autologin-guest=true" at the "/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf" file...

I figured I can probably log-out of guest and login as root...

But not... My when I restart I am stuck at the ubuntu logo, and it doesnt make it past that. What can I do to get in my system? Thanks

Wordstar

Beans

You could try to go to a tty when boot hangs, ex. ctrl+alt+F3 If that works log in there as you, ect.
    If no good then at grub screen choose Advanced > recovery. At the recovery menu easiest is to choose to do a fsck, press enter to do & enter to exit back to menu. Then choose the root shell prompt option and fix or remove your lightdm.conf.

This works just fine here in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf for auto login to guest session in 16.04
    Code:
    [Seat:*]
    autologin-user=guest
    autologin-guest=true

Beans

Hi thank you mc4man for your time and suggestion,

The rpi doesnt have grub. I was able to solve it by removing the SD card and putting it into my laptop running on linux mint. From there I was able to erase the lightdm.conf file and redid the autologin configuration. Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.