Thread: The feared flashing screen after upgrading...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Question The feared flashing screen after upgrading...

A painful weekend to my eyes... Installed 18.04 64 bit twice in each of two blank hard drives attempts. Got the flashing screen from a believed wrong Nvidia driver.
    Following instructions to fix it in a dozen posts, unsuccessfully, ended frozen at the password login stage taking me to a black screen. Tried grub terminal to find a path to change the driver selection, but was too much for my little skills.
    Repeated with a second hard drive without selecting any other driver and the thing works, but my eyes are not. The flashing is unbearable.

Found no solid way to cure this. Many guesses and 'try this' and 'the other' in several forums. Laptop is a Compaq with Nvidia C77 - Force 8200m. Drivers shown available are 'alternatives', both misbehave.

Is there a solid, dumbproof cure?

Beans
    Distro

Re: The feared flashing screen after upgrading...

Hi.
    Must let know a particular behavior :
    Initializing from my cold laptop, there is no flickering for about 5 minutes. Then the eye pain from flashing starts.
    A thermal something tosses another variable to the table.
    Others with same flickering/flashing screen, please report behavior at cold power-up.

Beans
    Distro

Re: The feared flashing screen after upgrading...

"Solved" by dumping the laptop, obtained another without Nvidia anything inside. Installed 18.04 and all is fine, no more flashing.