Thread: unpredictable behavior for some apps

Beans

Question unpredictable behavior for some apps

Clean install of 18.04.1 onto an XPS13 (9350), previously running 16.04 but upgraded to get better integration with thunderbolt-3 dock. I am running the flashback gnome interface, and home directory is mounted at /local/home as /home is used for my university "home" folder.

Issue - a few of the applications (I have found 2 so far) "Calculator" and "System Monitor" will not run from "Applications" menu (point and click). If I open a terminal "gnome-system-montor" runs OK, but "gnome-calculator" still fails with message:
    cannot create user data directory: /local/home/escifell/snap/gnome-calculator/180: Read-only file system

If I look at directory /local/home/escifell/snap/gnome-calculator/180, I have full rwx permissions and can add, edit and delete files.

Advice please.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: unpredictable behavior for some apps

Default apps are installed in 18.04 through "snap", a new cross-OS package manager. Snap will be much better than APT one day, but right now it's in the beginning stages and experiencing growing pains.

One of these growing pains is that it "themes" each application differently than it has in the past, and some of the new "theming" Also "communitytheme "hasn't had the kinks worked out yet.

Luckily, the workaround is very very easy. Just uninstall with snap and reinstall with APT.

Code:
    sudo snap remove gnome-system-monitor
    sudo apt install gnome-system-monitor
    Code:
    sudo snap remove gnome-calculator
    sudo apt install gnome-calculator
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Using home outside /home is a known issue for snaps.
    See: 1620771
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Thanks installing packages through apt worked.