Thread: Scanner Not in Sane Whitelist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Question Scanner Not in Sane Whitelist

Hello.

I just purchased a brand new Avision scanner model # AW210. I selected it because the description specifically mentioned Linux as a supported OS (I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS). Also, according to hamrick.com, the AW210 can be used on Linux without installing any other software.

The scanner was automatically detected by Sane, but it won't function and isn't detected by any scanning software. I installed the driver file from the included CD, a file named "avision-sane-backend_0.1.0-17158_amd64.deb" and it had a file creation date of 06/17/2017. It installed without issue. However, the scanner is still not functional, even after all the usual basic troubleshooting steps like powering the device off and on again, and rebooting my computer.

I followed instructions found on Ubuntu Help regarding installing a scanner that isn't auto-detected. Those instructions said to run
    Code:
    sane-find-scanner
    in a terminal and make a note of the scanner's vendor ID and product ID, which I did.

https://asb5lg.bn.files.1drv.com/y4m...&cropmode=none

The next step was to edit the avision.conf file to add the vendor & product ID numbers, which I did.

https://asb4lg.bn.files.1drv.com/y4m...&cropmode=none

However, neither XSane nor Simple Scan are detecting this device, even if I run them as root. I called the Avision tech support number, but nobody there knows anything about Linux and the rep told me it's probably best to just return the scanner and search for another one. The problem is that I can't find any other scanners with a document feeder that support Linux and don't cost upwards of $300 (this one was $150 and would be perfect if it worked).

Does anybody here know how to make this scanner work? Is there a way I can edit the "whitelist" that the Sane error mentions? Or, would that attempt be just a total waste of time?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ajgreeny; August 3rd, 2018 at 10:37 PM. Reason: large images replaced with links.

Beans

Re: Scanner Not in Sane Whitelist

Hey, add the sane stable and git ppa : sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rolfbensch/sane-git , his other ppa is listed on that ppa page then update, full upgrade and reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Scanner Not in Sane Whitelist

I added those PPAs but it seems like that may have created even more problems.

Now, when I try to run scanimage -L it returns Segmentation fault (core dumped)

It also pops up the error box "Sorry, the application scanimage has stopped unexpectedly." I'm not sure exactly what parts of the details are necessary here, but here's the basics that might be relevant:

Code:
    ExecutablePath
       /usr/bin/scanimage

Package
       sane-utils 1.0.27+git20180730-bionic0 [origin: LP-PPA-rolfbensch-sane-git]

Problem Type
       Crash

Title
       scanimage crashed with SIGSEGV in __pthread_initialize_minimal_internal()

Architecture
       amd64

Date
       Sat Aug 4 11:55:42 2018

DistroRelease
       Ubuntu 18.04

ProcCmdline
       scanimage -L

SegvAnalysis
       Segfault happened at: 0x7f96fc047edb <_pthread_initialize_minimal_internal+91>:   mov   0x968(%rbp),%rax
       PC (0x7f96fc047edb) ok
       source "0x968(%rbp)" (0x00000968) not located in a known VMA region (needed readable region)!
       destination "%rax" ok

SegvReason
       reading NULL VMA

StacktraceTop
       __pthread_initialize_minimal_internal () at nptl-init.c:294
       _init () at ../sysdeps/x86_64/crti.S:72
       ?? ()

Tags
       bionic third-party-packages

Uname
       Linux 4.15.0-29-generic x86_64

Unreportable Reason
       This is not an official Ubuntu package. Please remove any third party package and try again.
    The SegvAnalysis references a readable region (looks like that's missing?). Please let me know if anything here is helpful in getting this resolved, or if there's more info that's necessary!