Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Re: PulseAudio won't work, no sound, custom 'laptop' build around MeeGoPad T09

Beans

Re: PulseAudio won't work, no sound, custom 'laptop' build around MeeGoPad T09

Pretty much what it says in the [Edit] -- if I could convince the machine to assume something is plugged in (inverting the default behavior of assuming something isn't plugged in) when jack detect fails, then we could quite well hang the "Mission Accomplished" banner up on the battleship and actually mean it this time (lol) because we'd be done with this problem.

Trouble is, I can't seem to get the machine to do that.

Beans

'nother bump.

Beans

...Beuller? Beuller? Beuller?

Bump number three...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have this problem too! As soon as I uninstall Pulseaudio my sound comes back.

I installed Audacity then PulseAudio; which worked correctly in the session. after re-booting my sound icon disappeared with symptoms everybody is describing.

So I would say as a workaround - After your audacity session - uninstall PulseAudio. then reinstall it the next time you need it. till this bug is fixed.
    If your using Audacity all the time I'd volunteer; just leave it on.

Thanks

Beans

Since PulseAudio comes with Ubuntu, I suspect your problem is more a clash between the from-Ubuntu PulseAudio and the second version you installed separately. Mine is a hardware issue -- the jack does not physically support plug detection, and the computer refuses to route audio to a jack that it does not know for sure has a plug in it.

Could be wrong about your issue, though... especially since I haven't installed Audacity.

Beans

@Temüjin -- you know this forum better than I do... would I be well advised to start another thread in the Hardware subforum and link back to this one? After all, the issue I have now is rooted in hardware...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by starhawk2 View Post
    @Temüjin -- you know this forum better than I do... would I be well advised to start another thread in the Hardware subforum and link back to this one? After all, the issue I have now is rooted in hardware...
    You can request that a mod/admin move it, though I don't think it would make a difference in terms of who sees it. To me, something like this is a "hardware" issue anyway, unless you are having difficulties with a specific audio/video program.

If I could convince the system that there was something constantly plugged into that jack, I'd be completely fine...
    I'm still trying to figure out how you arrived at this conclusion.
    I need a new signature.

Beans

Re plug detection. The reason I'd be all set if the behavior were inverted goes something like this...

If there is no plug present, the audio stream basically goes nowhere anyways. It's effectively write-only memory, because there's nothing connected. No harm there, just a big pile of silence.

If there is a plug present, then the audio stream goes to whatever's plugged into the jack... rock on!

Given that line of reasoning, the current behavior doesn't make sense to me -- why actively block an audio stream when sending it to an empty socket is completely harmless anyways?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by starhawk2 View Post
    Since PulseAudio comes with Ubuntu, I suspect your problem is more a clash between the from-Ubuntu PulseAudio and the second version you installed separately. Mine is a hardware issue -- the jack does not physically support plug detection, and the computer refuses to route audio to a jack that it does not know for sure has a plug in it.

Could be wrong about your issue, though... especially since I haven't installed Audacity.
    I read this - reinstalled the PulseAudio Volume Control; photo enclosed;

Then Tested, by clicking on the input device section of "Pulse volume control" selecting, internal microphone = unplugged; in this case; the video feed routed through to Audacity; it worked! then restarted - where the sound icon showed up, which it did not do yesterday. If it was broken; it is not broken now.

Audacity did not cause the sound problem - fussing with the sound card choices in Audacity; setting them to pulse needs to be done.

thanks for the help Adding the second instance of Pulse Audio should not have done anything except overwrite the first instance; Don't know. Alls well it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

PulseAudio notes on their website that installing a second instance of PulseAudio does exactly that -- it overwrites nothing, but the manual install takes operational precedence over the distro-installed version.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast