Thread: How to enable OPAL TCG hardware-based encryption?

Beans

How to enable OPAL TCG hardware-based encryption?

I have a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe hard disk (1 TB) which replaces the manufacturer's M.2 SATA SSD drive in a Dell Latitude 5580. To use the disk's hardware encryption feature, I could have set a simple Class-0 password (as I did for many years using the ATA-password for SSDs). However, Dell's BIOS only allows to set passwords only for M.2 SATA SSDs but not for NVMe drives:

https://www.dell.com/support/article...m2-ssd?lang=en

Dell seems not to be willing to update their BIOS to support Class-0 passwords, so I'm looking for other options to enable hardware-based encryption. I am fully aware that I could use software-based encryption (e.g. LUKS) but I really want to have hardware-based encryption for some reasons (especially usability, performance, power consumption, SSD specifics).

The other option to enable hardware-based encryption would be to use OPAL TCG, which the 960 EVO supports as well. Does anybody know how I can safely set up OPAL TCG to have hardware-based encryption for ubuntu 18.04? How do OPAL TCG patches in Kernel 4.13+ come into play here?

Best regards
    Thomas

Beans

[SOLVED] How to enable OPAL TCG hardware-based encryption?

I now tried it out to use TCG OPAL for the Samsung Evo 960. And finally, it worked

My setup is the Dell Latitude 5580 with recent BIOS version, booting in BIOS mode. The OS is ubuntu 18.04 with recent updates installed. I only have a swap partition (for hibernating encryptedly) and a btrfs partition.

I just followed the steps described at https://github.com/Drive-Trust-Allia...ing-your-drive

The Version of the sedutil-cli rescue system was 1.15.1

The only thing which I noticed not to work is the S3 sleep mode because ubuntu does not unlock the drive when resuming. To mitigate this issue, I now use hibernate (even when closing the lid). To use hibernate via the swap partition, I had to extend the swap partition's size and set the resume parameter in /etc/defaults/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash resume=UUID=28eded29-f9e6-44b5-9e54-XXXXXXXXXXXX"

The UUID of the swap partition can be determined with blkid command.

Also noticable:

- After the Pre-Boot-Authentication has unlocked the drive, the laptop returns to the Dell logo and during that time I can also put in a USB stick and boot from there while the drive is already unlocked.
    - When putting the PBA image on the drive and setting the password, all the data persists on the drive. The data does not change (although it is wise to have a recent backup at hands).