Thread: ubuntu compatibility with dell dimension e521

Beans

ubuntu compatibility with dell dimension e521

I have installed Ubuntu 14.4.1 on my Dell Dimension E521 and when bootup is finished I get a screen with no desktop options and no mouse icon. Do I have to install a previous version of Ubuntu? Or what?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: ubuntu compatibility with dell dimension e521

Hello malachai2 and Welcome to Ubuntu Forums,

No you do not have to install former releases. 14.04 is still supported until next year. But it's getting pretty old now. I would consider installing at least 16.04.
    I do not have a e521 to test on here but I suspect what your running into is a video card driver problem.
    does that machine have Nvidia video care? if so you'll need to follow the procedure listed here to get it going.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For Boot Repair Click Here
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

So you get no desktop options or mouse cursor. But what do you get? A black screen? A black screen with some text? A desktop with a background but nothing to click?

If these are the specs, the ram may be a little low for Ubuntu, but Xubuntu or Lubuntu or Ubuntu Mate (all 18.04) should work fine. Just don't load too many websites simultaneously. Or consider increasing the ram to the maximum of 4GB. Also, if those specs are correct, it seems that the graphics card should be supported by the open source drivers.

Note that Ubuntu 14.04 is getting close to end of life. It's not a good idea to install it now. For the lighter flavours, 16.04 is getting close to end of life, so better use 18.04.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

sounds like you have a nvidia video card....they have dropped support for the new version of Xorg (1.20) on their
    older cards....you will need to use the nouveau open source driver......do this:

at boot hold down the shift key until the boot screen shows....key in e to edit the kernel parameters.....on the line
    beginning with linux, add nouveau after quiet splash.....use F10 to reboot......did this fix your problem ???

if problem is now fixed, you need to make the changes permanent......by doing this:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/grub

and then add nouveau to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nouveau"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

And then exit nano with Ctrl+X, BE SURE TO SAVE IT, then simply run:

sudo update-grub
    Last edited by NM5TF; July 21st, 2018 at 08:42 PM. Reason: added info
    Registered Linux User # 529389
    Arch Linux, MX 18.3 Linux
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Some of the C521's have Nvidia Geforce 61xx graphics cards which might need a special treatment. Maybe the same goes for an E521.

Are you able to run any kind of Buntu which gives a useable screen, for example a live boot?

If so then please copy
    Code:
    lshw -C video
    and paste it to the command line, run it and post the output here in CODE tags. It will give us a better foundation for helping.
    Last edited by mörgæs; July 21st, 2018 at 12:54 PM.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.