Thread: Unable to boot after clean install of 18.04

Beans

Question Unable to boot after clean install of 18.04

Dear Ubuntu community, I've been struggling to get my laptop to boot into Ubuntu 18.04 or 16.04 for several weeks now and any help would be much appreciated!

I have a simple laptop for traveling: an Acer R3-131T that shipped with Windows 10. I had been using Ubuntu 16.04 for several months when an odd problem popped up and I attempted to start fresh with a clean install of Ubuntu 18.04. After reinstalling I have been unable to get the computer to boot from it's internal drive- currently it shows the Acer logo and briefly flashes some terminal output before going black and attempting to boot again.

I have been able to boot using a USB drive with the Ubuntu Installer and also using a boot repair USB drive and I was also able to successfully restore and boot a backup of Windows 10 using Clonezilla. I was unable to boot my backup of Ubuntu 16.04 or boot after installing a fresh copy of 16.04.

For additional information - this machine uses UEFI, secure boot is turned off and my boot options menu currently shows only Linpus Lite. Here is the output from my boot repair attempt: http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/HWbn48Gf4t/

Many thanks!

Beans

Re: Unable to boot after clean install of 18.04

Problem solved by a generous EriC^^ in the ubuntu IRC channel!

The solution was to boot from a live usb and mount the sda1 partition on my internal drive:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt && ls -lR /mnt/efi
    In my /dev/sda1 partition I had efi/BOOT and efi/ubuntu directories. I added /efi/microsoft/boot, and copied copied the shimx64.efi and grubx64.efi files into /efi/microsoft/boot/:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /mnt/efi/microsoft/boot && sudo cp /mnt/efi/ubuntu/shimx64.efi /mnt/efi/microsoft/boot/bootmgfw.efi && sudo cp /mnt/efi/ubuntu/grubx64.efi /mnt/efi/microsoft/boot/grubx64.efi
    Thanks again to EriC^^ !!!