Hi everyone,

I have a thinkpad x240, and given the horrible original touchpad I changed it following this guide: http://diy.mironto.sk/thinkpad-x240-...-and-keyboard/
It worked fine for more than 1 year until I got an issue with the touchpad gluing and I had to remove and put back the ribbon cable. Big trouble at the following reboot, the PC refused to boot with 7 beeps. With a short research online I understood that the trouble was with the touchpad. Once disconnected I can boot without trouble, but without touchpad!

My first idea was that I damaged somewhat the touchpad: I put back the old one, same problem.
Then I thought I damaged the ribbon cable. I removed it and test each contact (not easy when you don't have the right equipment!!), they seem to be working.
Finally I'm turning on the direction of a software issue. In the BIOS the touchpad is activated.
xinput list gives this output:
Code:
⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                                id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                                   id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button                                id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Integrated Camera                           id=12    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard                id=13    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ ThinkPad Extra Buttons                      id=14    [slave  keyboard (3)]
As far as I can understand the touchpad is not detected.
I'm using linux mint 18.3.

I'm not enough experienced to tell if it is a hardware or software problem. I'm using linux since 10 years, but so far I was always able to find my problems around, this time I need some guide to better understand which is the problem.
Thanks for any kind of help.