Thread: Please help, stuck on boot after update.

Beans

Please help, stuck on boot after update.

I wonder if anyone could help me please to save my os:

I accepted an ubuntu 18.04 update on my dell inspiron 15 7000 series yesterday and now I cannot get into the login screen

The system gets stuck on boot line:

started gnome display manager dispatcher service..... tem changes.pp temp link was shut down

I have tried from the tty (using alt+f4 wihthin the frozen line (somehow I have to keep clicking this key combination since the screent becomes inactive all the time)) these bug ticket solutions (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1779827) I have tried these commands:

sudo apt-get install haveged
    sudo apt-get --reinstall install ubuntu-gnome-desktop- gnome-shell gnome
    sudo apt-get remove linux-image-4.15.0.24-generic linux-headers-4.15.0.24-generic

However I am still stuck in the same line. There are many posts with similar issues in the last week but either their solutions are not working for me or I do not know how to make them work... Please help, I need to relog to finish my research thesis.

[UPDATE]

I am trying to change back to the kernel 4.15.0.23 as adviced by many users but I have not been able. The command

sudo apt-get remove linux-image-4.15.0.24-generic linux-headers-4.15.0.24-generic

is actually giving me this error:

Aborting removal of the running kernel
    dpkg: error procesing the package linux-image-4.15.0-24-generic (--remove):
    installed linux-image-4.15.0-24-generic package pre-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
    errors where encoutnered while processing:
    linux-image-4.15.0-24-generic
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg return an error code(1)

Which is the right procedure to remove current kernel and install an older version from tty? (This is a full linux installation no grub)
    Last edited by Delosari; July 15th, 2018 at 01:25 AM. Reason: update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Re: Please help, stuck on boot after update.

First verify which kernels you have installed:
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep linux-image

Try to remove the broken kernel:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge linux-image-<version/name>

Be sure to remove its headers too
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge linux-headers-<version/name>
    Last edited by Xian; July 15th, 2018 at 04:07 AM.
    /path/to/Truth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    First verify which kernels you have installed:
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep linux-image

Try to remove the broken kernel:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge linux-image-<version/name>

Be sure to remove its headers too
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge linux-headers-<version/name>
    Thank you very much Xian for your update.

After typing many commads which I did not understand ubuntu started. I have lost the sound however and now I am afraid to turn it off. I have run the first command you gave me and I have:

Code:
    dpkg -l | grep linux-imagerc  linux-image-4.15.0-20-generic                 4.15.0-20.21                        amd64        Signed kernel image generic
    rc  linux-image-4.15.0-22-generic                 4.15.0-22.24                        amd64        Signed kernel image generic
    ii  linux-image-4.15.0-23-generic                 4.15.0-23.25                        amd64        Signed kernel image generic
    ii  linux-image-4.15.0-24-generic                 4.15.0-24.26                        amd64        Signed kernel image generic
    ii  linux-image-generic                           4.15.0.23.25                        amd64        Generic Linux kernel image
    If I type
    Code:
    uname -r:4.15.0-24-generic
    If I run the other commands to delete the 24 version how do I make the 23 version to become active or reinstall it? (Do I run those from the tty or the terminal on the lunched ubuntu session)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Quote Originally Posted by Delosari View Post
    If I run the other commands to delete the 24 version how do I make the 23 version to become active or reinstall it? (Do I run those from the tty or the terminal on the lunched ubuntu session)
    You certainly don't need to reinstall V.23 ... it's already on your machine. On reboot you should boot into the previous safe version. Because you won't remove the linux-generic package itself, Ubuntu will still attempt to upgrade to a new kernel when available. You mentioned grub is not installed so I'm not able confirm with normal methods that the broken kernel is/isn't the default boot choice.

If you run commands from a launched session you'll get warnings about removing an active kernel ... which is fine so just proceed.
    Last edited by Xian; July 16th, 2018 at 01:22 AM.
    /path/to/Truth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I'm having the same issue and uncertain where to begin. Should I start a separate thread?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by TRPrecht View Post
    I'm having the same issue and uncertain where to begin. Should I start a separate thread?
    Yes please.