Thread: Failed to connect to lvmetad

Beans

Failed to connect to lvmetad

Hello everyone,

I hope you are well and that time will allow you to help me with the following error in ubuntu:

I'm struggling for a few days to find a solution to my problem on a ubuntu 18.04
    I have tried all the suggestions on many forums, but unfortunately I have not found a simple solution to solve this problem.

I have recently upgraded Ubuntu 16.04 to Ubuntu 18.04 with enabling full disk encryption and with LVM. After this upgrade, every time I'm starting the machine, I see some messages appearing on the boot screen.

(for more details, please see the attached photo)

I need yours precious help, I hope someone help me with a simple solution!

Please let me know,
    Dan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Failed to connect to lvmetad

Only informative. I frequently see the same. lvmetad caches information about logical volumes on your system for the benefit of lvm commands. A command would otherwise have to scan your system every time you run an lvm command.

It probably hasn't started yet, and a backup process of scanning for lvm devices is used instead until it does.

After you log in, you can check if its running using htop and filter (F4) for 'lvm'. I see /sbin/lvmetad -f in Ubuntu 18.04.

https://access.redhat.com/documentat...metadatadaemon
    Last edited by Dennis N; July 14th, 2018 at 01:49 PM.

Beans

Thanks for your suggestion.

I specify that this error prevents me from getting the graphical interface...
    I can not acces ubuntu only with Ctrl + Alt * F1.

Beans

There is no error indicated in your image - it's just a warning. As it says, device scanning is being used instead. The device scan succeeded because it informs you that Ubuntu found your volume group, and that two logical volumes are now activated (and accessible). I get these identical lines and the computer always has continued to login screen and desktop. So I suspect your failure to reach the graphical login screen and desktop has another cause - not the lvmetad. Look for other reasons for not loading the login GUI.