Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LightDM failing to show background.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: LightDM failing to show background.

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    I just don't have any clue why LightDM GTK+ Greeter settings are not working for you at present, I'm just a CLI guy and use the terminal only for changes to "my" system.
    And I have just always used "/usr/share/backgrounds" for my source to choose from.
    For what it's worth I installed the "LightDM GTK+ Greeter settings" and tried to use an image from my /Pictures location and got the same error "LightDM dose not have permission to read path: /home/me" but if I moved that image to "/usr/share/backgrounds" it was then available to use. (The image format was also a .jpeg FWIW)
    Any way just trying to help a fellow user out.
    Thank you very much for checking on your own system. I've moved the login folder into /usr/share/backgrounds/ & everything works again.
    #SELFUR

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    My chosen Xfce (Xubuntu) wallpaper image sits in my home and also in /boot/grub so I see it under my grub menu, it is not in the system folder backgrounds, but my lightdm login screen shows the same image before I have logged in, of course. The permissions of both my images are -rw-r--r-- so can be read by anyone including lightdm; only the owner is different, and the grub image has been reduced to a usable size and 256 colours.

What permissions are set for the image you want to use for lightdm?
    Permissions for the images I use are the same as what you listed above for yours.
    #SELFUR

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by jonny6 View Post
    Permissions for the images I use are the same as what you listed above for yours.
    Check your folder permissions.
    When using a folder in $HOME for custom images, both the folder and file need to allow access to "Others".

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by guber2 View Post
    Check your folder permissions.
    When using a folder in $HOME for custom images, both the folder and file need to allow access to "Others".
    Thanks for the heads up. Everything appears to have the correct permissions. I've moved the folder as per above so I think I can close this off as solved....
    #SELFUR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12