Thread: Ubuntu Server did drop French Language

Beans

Ubuntu Server did drop French Language

Hi,

Such a shame, will trying installing 18.04 for the first time this morning and just realize Ubuntu did not offer french as supported language on installation.

I was using Ubuntu server since 10.04, but I want it in french, Do I have to move on Debian or Centos as they are still installable in french.

Trying to fill an issue on Launchpad trhow me an error and talking with Canonical support, he told me "French is still free", but it is not available

Fix-it or please WRITE IN BOLD "NE FRENCH SUPPORT"

Thank you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Server did drop French Language

That's odd it shows here: https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?k...nguage-pack-fr
    Code:
    apt search language-pack-fr
    Sorting... Done
    Full Text Search... Done
    language-pack-fr/bionic,bionic 1:18.04+20180423 all
      translation updates for language French

language-pack-fr-base/bionic,bionic 1:18.04+20180423 all
      translations for language French
    Last edited by 1fallen; July 13th, 2018 at 03:25 PM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ubuntu Server did drop French Language

Quote Originally Posted by a-1enoit-n View Post
    Trying to fill an issue on Launchpad trhow me an error and talking with Canonical support, he told me "French is still free", but it is not available

Fix-it or please WRITE IN BOLD "NE FRENCH SUPPORT"
    I'm assuming you installed using the "new" installer and the ubuntu-18.04-live-server-amd64.iso?

I installed into a VM and although I opted to install using the French language it seem that the subsequent language options offered are very limited as my first screenshot shows. I continued in English and was offered a French keyboard layout. The resulting installation was of course in English but unusable by me due to the non-English keyboard layout.

A bug needs to be reported against the subiquity package.

If you use the alternative installer and the ubuntu-18.04-server-amd64.iso image you will no doubt see an installer that you are much more familiar with. It does allow an installation in French. See my second screenshot. You can download the alternative installer from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/18.04/release/.

And yes it does take a while to find if you first go the the Ubuntu Server's home page - https://www.ubuntu.com/server. Hope that helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images