Thread: Ubuntu boot issue - urgent help!!

Beans

Ubuntu boot issue - urgent help!!

I was running gnome ubuntu 17.04LTS for a long time and somehow when i performed an upgrade check, it told me the option of upgrading to ubuntu 18.04LTS and i happened to upgrade it.

But now everytime i boot, when i login it, only comes up with a blank screen. It does boot properly and in the login prompt i see Gnome, Ubuntu, gnome classic etc. But none of them work after i login

The only way i can login to the machine is via the advanced options recovery mode in during the reboot. Something has gone wrong. Can someone point me in the right direction on this?

Looks like the OS still boots - but after logging in, I only get a blank screen. Where do i start troubleshooting. At least now i can login using recovery mode to run any diagnostics.

Please help!!

Beans

Re: Ubuntu boot issue - urgent help!!

Please ignore this post - its fixed now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Would you please post the solution so the whole community will benefit from your answer.

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Would you please post the solution so the whole community will benefit from your answer.

Thanks
    I just changed from gdm to lightdm - and it works now. Don't know how i ended up screming gdm.