Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Password No Longer Works

Beans

Password No Longer Works

I booted up Ubuntu 18.4 I have been using since April, but it refused my password several time. I used an older boot number, but same result.

I Went into Terminal and did a Recovery Mode/Root and entered "mount -o rw,remount /" I changed the Password and it Ubuntu booted up from Recovery. However, when I tried to reboot, the only way I could get Ubuntu to come up was going through the Recovery Protocol again.

I something missing in my GRUB loader?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Password No Longer Works

Try hitting the backspace key a few times before you enter your password.

Beans

Boot from hitting "e" on a "normal" grub entry then change -ro to -rw and add exec=/bin/bash right behind that. That will log you in as root. Then use passwd to change your password. For examle I would use passwd stephen

EDIT:
    The line you want to edit is the one start with linux

Beans

The Backspace several times before entering the Password did not work. Still have to go through the Recovery sequence to get Ubuntu to Boot.

Where does the "Boot from hitting "e" on a "normal" grub entry then change -ro to -rw and add exec=/bin/bash right behind that. That will log you in as root." entry go? Is that a Terminal line entry?

Beans

it goes in grub, where you chose recovery. With a "normal" kernel highlighted press e.

Beans

In the normal (top most) kernel I did the e entry to gain the list. I went to the Linux line and replaced the ro with an rw, then added exec=/bin/bash. No change; still can not get into the regular kernel with a password.

I went into Recovery again and Updated the Grub2 loader with the same results. I still can only boot up into 18.4 through Recovery and the current password.

Beans

when it booted after you made changes were you at a command line?

If so did you do passwd USERNAME?

Beans

Yea, entered Username XXXX, then passwd XXXXX.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

SpikeLS6, you may try to enter username:root then the password: is your password
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread
    Rock n' Roll People.

Beans

Password is now moot.I downloaded and installed a new driver for a new wide screen monitor and it locked up 18.04 to the point I can not get into it. Monday I'll take it to the shop and ask & pay for help. I need to get this PC working pronto. Thank you for your help and your ideas. I;ll show this as SOLVED, because the new 18.04i install ought to solve lots of issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast