Thread: Where is the security update for Thunderbird 52.8 to 52.9?

Beans

Where is the security update for Thunderbird 52.8 to 52.9?

I may not be as well-informed as I should be, but it seems that Canonical has been regularly updating Thunderbird and Firefox with security updates on my Ubuntu 14.04 system. I receive regular notices of software products that require security updates from US-CERT, the US Federal Computer Emergency Readiness Team. Last week I received a notice that some security flaws had been discovered in Mozilla Thunderbird 52.8 that require an update to 52.9. I normally receive such updates for T-Bird, Firefox, Chrome, Libre Office etc shortly after they have been identified, but in this case, a week has gone by with no update forthcoming for T-Bird 52.9. I'm not complaining but just wondering if anyone involved with Canonical could fill me in on why the delay. Perhaps I'm just worrying that T-Bird has somehow fallen off the queue for updates in my system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Where is the security update for Thunderbird 52.8 to 52.9?

Hello, no one here has any connection with Canonical, we are end users like yourself that volunteer our time to help where we can, when there are updates they will land in the repositories so you should be okay unless you are not able to update your system for some reason, then that will need to be troubleshooted.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Wadcutter, I don't work for Canonical but I do know that Thunderbird 52.9 is being worked on.

After any Ubuntu specific patches have been applied Thunderbird, like Firefox and Chromium, has to successfully build on all architectures for all of the currently supported releases. There are are often build failures which hold up the process. After a short period of testing it will be released but the entire process could take a couple of weeks.

Like we say every Ubuntu release day: "It'll be released when it's ready".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just out of curiosity - is it better to add repos for specific applications in order to get newest updates faster? Faster meaning - Ubuntu does not vet or review the software before allowing it into their primary repo?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    Wadcutter, I don't work for Canonical but I do know that Thunderbird 52.9 is being worked on.

After any Ubuntu specific patches have been applied Thunderbird, like Firefox and Chromium, has to successfully build on all architectures for all of the currently supported releases. There are are often build failures which hold up the process. After a short period of testing it will be released but the entire process could take a couple of weeks.

Like we say every Ubuntu release day: "It'll be released when it's ready".
    Thank you. That is exactly the type of info that I didn't have.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I hope they skip Thunderbird 52.9.0 and update straight to 52.9.1.

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/th.../releasenotes/

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by jason.jackal View Post
    Just out of curiosity - is it better to add repos for specific applications in order to get newest updates faster? Faster meaning - Ubuntu does not vet or review the software before allowing it into their primary repo?
    That's probably better raised in a chat type thread as the reason for the need of the latest version of an application will vary depending on the application concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by walts48 View Post
    I hope they skip Thunderbird 52.9.0 and update straight to 52.9.1.
    They are.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful