Thread: Can't get past GRUB Minimal BASH

Beans

Can't get past GRUB Minimal BASH

Hello! I'm new to Linux and decided to try installing Ubuntu from a live USB. Yesterday, I installed Ubuntu in the BIOS version by accident, so I tried deleting my Linux partitions and GRUB. I really want to get through the installation, so I tried to do it in UEFI this time so that both Windows and Linux could be in UEFI mode. It went fine, but when I restarted my laptop, I got a black screen that says:
    "Minimal BASH like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions."

I've looked around some forums and I've tried the boot repair solution, but boot repair tells me it's fixed and I get the same screen when I try to reboot.

I can get back to Windows using the fourth comment’s suggestion here: https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...b-command-line

I'm thinking that I didn't properly delete/update GRUB, so it can't find my files. My idea is that uninstalling and reinstalling GRUB might work, but I have no idea how to go about doing that... Is there any way to repair this? Help would be greatly appreciated! I don't know what information might be useful, but I'll gladly provide it if asked
    Last edited by longitude; July 10th, 2018 at 03:54 PM.

Beans

Re: Can't get past GRUB Minimal BASH

It's very odd you mention this. I have been using Linux for years, and I just stumbled onto this issue today and have been severely stumped. I have reset all of my UEFI/BIOS settings to optimized defaults and formatted all my drives and I still run into this issue. I have also tried several USB's, at least one of which I have used successfully for an install previously.

EDIT
    There's another thread with the same issue: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2395995

What I have tried:
    - Tested 2 different flash drives, one of which I have used to install on my system previously
    - Restore UEFI/BIOS defaults
    - Disable secure boot/fast boot
    - Unplug all drives other than destination drive
    - Ensure the UEFI Ubuntu install option is booted
    - Perform a "Normal install" without downloading updates or extra packages
    Last edited by paranoidcoder; July 10th, 2018 at 04:25 AM.

Beans

I'm having the same issue.

Got a new to me Lenovo T470 and thought it was something with the uefi settings in the bios.

I have tried both ubuntu and kubuntu same result install go fine no errors, when it reboots it only boots to the grub> prompt and I can't go any farther.

I can get the following distros installed on it with no issue
    elementary OS
    fedora
    manjaro

Beans

I just tried 16.04 and it installed with out any issues, there is something going on with the current installer for 18.04 versions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@paranoidcoder & powerjas
    Please do not hijack someone else's thread. Boot issues almost always are unique. If solution works here & also for you that is great, but probably best to run Boot-Repair and start your own thread with the Summary report.

@longitude
    May be best to see details, use ppa version with your live installer or any working install, not older Boot-Repair ISO:
    Post the link to the Create BootInfo summary report. Is part of Boot-Repair:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info and:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/

While Boot-Repair or its advanced options usually can repair system if just a Linux boot issue, often best to have someone review report. There may be other issues or fixes needed first.
    You can reinstall grub from live installer, or using Boot-Repair.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Try and install without any internet access, so no WiFi or ethernet. That seems to be causing my issues. I was able to install without internet access successfully, followed by a failed installation with internet access, and then yet again a successful installation without internet access.

Beans

Hey, thanks so much for the replies! I decided to try @paranoidcoder's suggestion and then @oldfred's if it didn't work as soon as I woke up today. Luckily, re-installing without wifi worked like a charm!

Beans

No problem @longitude, glad I could help. Hopefully this issue is resolved soon as I can see this affecting a ton of people.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@paranoidcoder
    Please post link to your bug report and try to get others with same issue to add to it. I will also when I see that issue.
    With only one user, issue is often ignored. With 2 at least someone looks at it. And often need 5 or more before it becomes a priority.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.