Thread: How Much Ram Is required to run Ubuntu perfectly

Beans

How Much Ram Is required to run Ubuntu perfectly

I have bean using Unbunto for many years, after an update i have started getting some lag issue on my pc, i am using 1 gb ram as i am not very rich. Is there any way i can get it running smooth on my pc or i need and upgrade. Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How Much Ram Is required to run Ubuntu perfectly

Here's the link below for the hardware specification of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS;
    https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

2 GHz dual core processor or better
    2 GB system memory
    25 GB of free hard drive space
    Either a DVD drive or a USB port for the installer media Internet access is helpful

For some Alternative downloads;
    https://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads

Beans

The solution is to ditch the Ubuntu default Gnome desktop and switch to something more modern, such as XFCE or LXDE. You can install as many desktop systems as you want and choose which you want to use today, when you log in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

What the HermanAB writes is true. But these days in my view the minimum ram should be 4 GiB despite what distro and Desktop Environment you are running. That is due to the heavier and growing demands of web and browser technologies. Chrome, Chromium and even Firefox, along with the base linux and the Desktop will require frequent swap at even 2 gigabytes. 4 Gigs will cover most scenarios with minimal swapping.
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans

2 GB RAM reqiured Recommended for daily use ubuntu.

Beans

2048 MB is recommended for daily use. You may also consider a version of Ubuntu running an alternate desktop environment requiring less RAM, such as Lubuntu or Xubuntu. Lubuntu is said to run fine with 512 MB of RAM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I agree. I don't know why browsers eats a lot of your ram when opening many tabs or window.
    I think it depends on what website you open. cause some website don't use a lot of your ram and some are.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

I would recommend using at lease 2-GB of ram with any version of Linux that way you should be able to enjoy the Ubuntu desktop.... I run a number of machines but my machines have at lease 4-GB and higher, that way I know I should not have a lag issues

If you are just meeting the requirements with Ram I'm sure you will run in to issues like this

Beans

If you run VM with 1GB 18.04 LTS stops mid installation and will not go further unless you update it to 2GB, heads up for anyone