Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overheating problems with CPU

Beans

Overheating problems with CPU

Ive done a fair bit of a research and come up short unfortunately, Synopsis: My laptop HDD went poof a few weeks ago, thankfully i had an SSD installed, but its too small to run windows stably without a new drive. So i had to turn back to Kubuntu for the moment, and the problem i've been having lately is overheating issues with my processor, its got an auto turbo boost in it, and linux wants to run it at max clock speed all the time, normally this wouldnt be an issue, because buy a laptop cooler right? Clean the vents right? Let me explain further, my financial situation is tight, im NOT ABLE to buy any new hardware or components, or a new laptop, or even cheap materials to rig up an AC cooler for my existing crappy cooler to begin with. My thermal paste is good, checked it yesterday, fan speed is at maximum already, yes im also aware of trying to adjust clock speed from BIOS but it flatly refuses to let me to let me modify the clock speed in BIOS, probably due to the turbo boost.
    So, i dont want to overclock, i want to underclock my processor to run at a consistent 1.8 Ghz as apposed to the constant (and mildly frustrating) 2.4. But i've been unable to find any software native to linux, any suggestions on how to PERMANENTLY lower clock speed? Yes yes, im aware that modifying these sorts of things can be dangerous if done incorrectly, lets skip all the warnings and 'beyond this point be dragons' speeches. My processor is running at a constant temp of 65 to 70 Celsius, which can be dangerous on its own over time.
    Thank you in Advance

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Overheating problems with CPU

Try the power save governor
    Code:
    echo powersave | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    this will give you a list of options for the above
    Code:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
    there may be a option in your bios to disable turbo
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

When i tried to boot BIOS this time, all it showed me was a gray clipped screen, so yay for that. Looks like BIOS is out of the picture entirely now
    So far as powersave goes, it doesnt help either. Clock speed is still a constant 2.4

Beans

What kind of laptop and CPU are we talking about here?

My processor is running at a constant temp of 65 to 70 Celsius
    This is probably not dangerous for a laptop. Laptop CPU's are made to run at much higher temps than desktop counterparts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    What kind of laptop and CPU are we talking about here?
    +1, we need to know this. In addition to what pqwoerituytrueiwoq asked for, we also need to know the CPU frequency scaling driver, so both and for example:

Code:
    doug@s15:~/temp$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_driver
    intel_pstate
    intel_pstate
    intel_pstate
    intel_pstate
    intel_pstate
    intel_pstate
    intel_pstate
    intel_pstate
    doug@s15:~/temp$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    powersave
    powersave
    powersave
    powersave
    powersave
    powersave
    powersave
    powersave
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz
    I was actually not aware of this fact actually, i've only ever had desktops until now, whats the normal meltdown or beyond this point be dragons temp for most laptop CPUs?

Beans

Code:
    wulf@CITADEL:~$ lscpu
    Architecture:        x86_64
    CPU op-mode(s):      32-bit, 64-bit
    Byte Order:          Little Endian
    CPU(s):              4
    On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3
    Thread(s) per core:  2
    Core(s) per socket:  2
    Socket(s):           1
    NUMA node(s):        1
    Vendor ID:           GenuineIntel
    CPU family:          6
    Model:               58
    Model name:          Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz
    Stepping:            9
    CPU MHz:             1424.413
    CPU max MHz:         2600.0000
    CPU min MHz:         800.0000
    BogoMIPS:            3392.58
    Virtualization:      VT-x
    L1d cache:           32K
    L1i cache:           32K
    L2 cache:            256K
    L3 cache:            3072K
    NUMA node0 CPU(s):   0-3
    Flags:                fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36  clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm  constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc  cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3  cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes  xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm cpuid_fault epb pti ibrs ibpb stibp  tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms xsaveopt dtherm  ida arat pln pts
    Code:
    wulf@CITADEL:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_driver
    intel_pstate
    intel_pstate
    intel_pstate
    intel_pstate
    wulf@CITADEL:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    powersave
    powersave
    powersave
    powersave
    wulf@CITADEL:~$
    Are the outputs of both
    Not entirely sure how to get the output of each result, im not the most knowledgeable in the inner workings of Kubuntu, sorry about that
    Last edited by deadflowr; July 10th, 2018 at 06:52 PM. Reason: added code tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by LastGunslinger View Post
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz
    I was actually not aware of this fact actually, i've only ever had desktops until now, whats the normal meltdown or beyond this point be dragons temp for most laptop CPUs?
    105 degrees C for your particular processor. You can use turbostat (in the linux-tools-common package) to obtain more details.

You can disable turbo with this command:
    Code:
    echo "1" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/no_turbo
    You can further (or instead) reduce the maximum clock rate with, for example, this command:

Code:
    echo 70 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/max_perf_pct
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

Code:
    CPU MHz: 1424.413
    That seems to indicate the CPU was running at 1.4GHz when you ran the command.

whats the normal meltdown or beyond this point be dragons temp for most laptop CPUs?
    It varies. Tjunction is listed as 105C for your CPU: https://ark.intel.com/products/65707...up-to-2_60-GHz
    I wouldn't be comfortable going above 90C for extended periods of time though. If you were overheating, your laptop would throttle the CPU or shut down completely to prevent damage.

Beans

Very useful to know. Turbo has been disabled, thank you for your help, all of you, and please pardon my dense nature and ignorance with this subject. I will mark this thread as SOLVED

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast