Thread: Mac slow Boot - Boot-Repair Report

Beans

Mac slow Boot - Boot-Repair Report

Hello. Any help would be appreciated. I am newer to the ubuntu/linux community but am working hard to learn my way around. I installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with Minimal Installation via USB on an old MacBook (black) with SSD from OWC. Ubuntu completely boots up and I can run programs and access the web. My startup is taking roughly 6minute 30 seconds and shut down I get some code to show up before I have to manual hold the power button to shutdown. First I tried re-downloading and reinstalling Ubuntu from a new USB, no change. Then I ran Boot Repair and followed the prompts. Maybe my startup time is normal for an older computer, I simply do not know enough. Again any thoughts or help would be appreciated while I continue to read through the forums. My paste bin and coding on shut down are to follow.

My paste bin is http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/vQRTvt627d/
    Shut Down Coding:
    [ 622.816230] [drm:drm_atomic_helper_wait_for_flip_done [drm_kms_helper]] *ERROR* [CRTC:41ipe B] flip_done timed out
    [ 633.056103] [drm:drm_atomic_helper_wait_for_dependencies [drm_kms_helper]] *ERROR* [CRTC:41ipe B] flip_done timed out
    [ 643.296137] [drm:drm_atomic_helper_wait_for_dependencies [drm_kms_helper]] *ERROR* [PLANE:35lane B] flip_done timed out

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Boot Repair/BIOS

No desktop/laptop should need more than 45sec to boot. Most should boot in under 20s. If they are taking longer, there is a problem. Could be configuration, could be hardware, often is it network setup stuff so things have to time out over and over and over before boot can finish. Sometimes it is a missing disk that was available during installation, but has since been removed or powered down.

First thing to know is that Macs are a little different, so you'll want to always post in the Apple sub-group and provide sufficient information for those good folks to know what hardware you actually have. I don't know anything about Apple hardware, but people usually say something like "2015 MBP", which I guess provides sufficient information. "old" is subjective. Old means 1993 to me. Is that what you intended? 2000 is "new" and 2010 is "brand new." Facts are best.

Always include "apple" in the problem title here. That will get more eyes with those skills to look.
    "Apple MB slow boot on 18.04 Gnome3" is the title I'd use. If you know the year for the MB, add that.

Many questions aren't apple specific, but booting is hardware-centric, so it is very relevant.

And welcome to the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Boot Repair/BIOS

Moved to Apple sub-forum.

I also do not know Mac, but not seeing anything in report that looks ab-normal. Maybe others knowing Mac will or know of issues.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Re: Mac slow Boot - Boot-Repair Report

I appreciate the the input TheFu and thank you for the transfer oldfred. Old is very subjective, sorry about that. It is a MacBook 4,1 2008.