Thread: Tergiversation trojan

Beans

Question Tergiversation trojan

I detected Tergiversation -malware in my 18.04/Firefox system. I upgraded my Firefox and got three tabs: the one that requests to open the tabs that were open before FF was closed and two redirects in place of the tabs that you normally get on newly upgraded FF.

I deleted the .mozilla directory to fix it. Is there something else that should be done?

I am a bit puzzled how my computer was infected in the first place, because I have not accessed any "suspicious" websites - as far as I know. Can Firefox get infected just by accessing a malicious website?
    Last edited by mrdc76; July 7th, 2018 at 02:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Tergiversation trojan

Any computer can be infected by a number of different vectors and behaviors. Email, websites, or any other internet download.

Even on reputable websites, there is 3rd party advertising. Those included ads have been used previously to attack desktop computers. MSN and other reputable sites were used. Almost always, only Windows is targeted, but purely from a security standpoint, many people choose to run ad blockers and disable javascript. Also, being careful of which addons/plugins you run inside any browser is important.

At the top of this subforum, there are multiple sticky threads about securing an Ubuntu system.

Beans

Re: Tergiversation trojan

I just received an email saying I'm subscribed to this thread but I've never heard of this trojan before or read this thread.

Is it possible I've been infected with it and someone is messing? I ran rkhunter but I keep getting the same 6 error messages I always do regarding changes to fgrep, egrep, adduser, lwp, ldd, which.

I didn't even think we had to use security software running Ubuntu Desktop because of false positives freaking noobs like me out.

I did visit a couple streaming sites using Chromium though cause NoScript doesn't like them at all with their 50 javascripts

Guess I have to read about Securing Ubuntu again.