Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do I permanently disable autoremove of old kernels?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How do I permanently disable autoremove of old kernels?

@Cavsfan
    1fallen is exactly right - that's what I want to do. Partly because there is a [tiny] risk that a new kernel will make my system unusable and its successor may not fix the problem, whereas the effect of a faulty new version of a web browser or an email client won't have such a drastic effect. So I want to be sure of having a stable kernel and only remove it once I am content from my own experience that a new version is OK. I typically keep 3 kernels but have plenty of HD space (over 150Gb) spare so am not too concerned if I end up with a couple more. Actually booting an old kernel is exceedingly rare.

But with that reservation I do want to keep my system up-to-date -- actually doing updates at a moment of my own choosing when I am not running anything else. I don't want to be competing for CPU, bandwidth, or anything else when the update is under way.

I'd just rather not risk forgetting to untick the box in the list presented by update. I was happier when it was not offered!

But, @Cavsfan, what you have posted is illuminating. I thoroughly agree with this:
    Code:
    I do not like anything to be installed without my knowledge, behind my back so to speak.

I would think even an inexperienced Linux user would not want anything like this either.
    I'm moderately experienced - enough to know my limitations, hence the original post. Ubuntu for 9 years, and a tiny bit of Unix many years ago.
    Ask me a dumb question. Then I'll know I am in good company.

Beans

Why is there the apparent assumption update-manager (Software Updater) & unattended-upgrades are connected here?

unattended-upgrades is going to do it's work without any input from you, i.e in this case remove any kernels already marked for autoremove.
    It would seem update-manager is setting these already marked kernel packages to be removed, though you need to agree to do so.

It's apt that's marking them for autoremoval, if you want to stop that then stop apt from doing so. ( the issue there is most users don't know which of the 3-5 packages would need to be removed if they aren't marked..) It does that via /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal file.

Best thing to do control all is purge unattended-upgrades package, plus in Software & Updates > updates set it to "Display immediately" for security updates & basically just use synaptic to do your updating. Synaptic will list packages marked for autoremove but never automatically do so or auto mark them for removal.

The package that notifies you of updates is update-notifier
    Last edited by mc4man; July 14th, 2018 at 05:57 AM. Reason: some caps

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    Best thing to do control all is purge unattended-upgrades package, plus in Software & Updates > updates set it to "Display immediately" for security updates
    This does not seem to have made any difference.
    I waited until another couple of kernels have appeared and have manually purged those that were extant at the time I purged the package.

I think I'll just put up with having to remain vigilant.

Beans
    Distro

I needed to be more patient.

After [manually] purging the files relating to one more kernel, autoremove of old kernels is no longer offered at every update, even though i (currently) have three installed.

Accordingly marked as solved.

Thanks for every contribution.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123