Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie for Xubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans

Newbie for Xubuntu

Ubuntu 14.04, just migrate to Xubuntu 18.04
    I found there is so much UI differ

* Now, I able to directly play MP3 file from my external. But after re-start the path is unknown ... why?
    --- I used DeaDBeeF

* Is there any System Monitor (Ubuntu's like) for Xubuntu? How to get it?

* I heard someone said that Thunar has a split view? How to activate it?

* I've tried to do a download. For a file, with capacity over than 100-MB ... it will be ending by FAILED. why?

Please guide me ... thanx

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Newbie for Xubuntu

Did you upgrade or did you do a clean install?

As for system monitor: There is one that you can get to by right-clicking on the header of your desktop and then choose Panle -> Add New Items -> (scroll down) System Load Monitor.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    Did you upgrade or did you do a clean install?

As for system monitor: There is one that you can get to by right-clicking on the header of your desktop and then choose Panle -> Add New Items -> (scroll down) System Load Monitor.
    clean install

System Load Monitor ... installed. but it doesn't include network, task manager, and each drive (storage) capacity
    please help ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by czgirb View Post
    * Now, I able to directly play MP3 file from my external. But after re-start the path is unknown ... why?
    --- I used DeaDBeeF
    * I've tried to do a download. For a file, with capacity over than 100-MB ... it will be ending by FAILED. why?
    Please guide me ... thanx
    There is the task manager already installed (in System category), but I suggest you install gnome-system-monitor. It's the same as in Ubuntu's and shows more than task manager.
    Thunar does not come with split-view. Use tabs or two windows side-by-side (or perhaps install a second file manager that has it.)
    Don't know DeadBeef. I use Audacious as my player. No problem with it playing from external drive.
    No idea about your download. Size should not be a factor. I would try again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    There is the task manager already installed (in System category), but I suggest you install gnome-system-monitor. It's the same as in Ubuntu's and shows more than task manager.
    Thunar does not come with split-view. Use tabs or two windows side-by-side (or perhaps install a second file manager that has it.)
    Don't know DeadBeef. I use Audacious as my player. No problem with it playing from external drive.
    No idea about your download. Size should not be a factor. I would try again.

gnome-system-monitor is installed and provide info as desired ... thank you

Beans

--- I used DeaDBeeF
    If you mean a reboot of the whole machine, then external media connected during boot are not mounted automatically. You can mount a drive by selecting an option on the context menu of its icon on the desktop or opening it in the file manager.
    xfce4-taskmanager. It's in the menu as Taskmanager. It will give you the workload on the CPU and use of RAM and swap along with a list of currently running processes. If you need more information on your system you can install the gnome-system-monitor (that's the one mainline Ubuntu is using; 'sudo apt install gnome-system-monitor' in a terminal or use the 'Software'-app) or set up conky (not for the faint of heart ... it's not a system monitor, it's a way of life). There are also several panel-applets that can show you system and network load.
    I think you heard wrong. I've been using Thunar since Ubuntu 12.04 and I've never seen Thunar with a split view. It does have a tabbed view, but since you can't see two or more tabs at once that's not the same thing at all.
    Using what protocol, what client, through what kind of network connection to what server ... Without knowing all of these and more, any attempt to diagnose the problem is pure guesswork.

Holger

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    If you mean a reboot of the whole machine, then external media connected during boot are not mounted automatically. You can mount a drive by selecting an option on the context menu of its icon on the desktop or opening it in the file manager.
    would you mind to guide me how to mount a drive ... thank you

xfce4-taskmanager. It's in the menu as Taskmanager. It will give you the workload on the CPU and use of RAM and swap along with a list of currently running processes. If you need more information on your system you can install the gnome-system-monitor (that's the one mainline Ubuntu is using; 'sudo apt install gnome-system-monitor' in a terminal or use the 'Software'-app) or set up conky (not for the faint of heart ... it's not a system monitor, it's a way of life). There are also several panel-applets that can show you system and network load.
    gnome-system-monitor is installed and works as wishes ... thank you

I think you heard wrong. I've been using Thunar since Ubuntu 12.04 and I've never seen Thunar with a split view. It does have a tabbed view, but since you can't see two or more tabs at once that's not the same thing at all.
    ooo ... thank you for the information

... what protocol, what client, through what kind of network connection to what server ...
    i'm using firefox to download a file from uploaded, my network is my local network and it via wi-fi ... i've tried it 3-times
    *** i able to download the file completely via my windows computer ... at once

please help me ...

add ...
    i followed the instructed provide by ... https://tutorialforlinux.com/2018/04...04-bionic-lts/ ... to installed WINE.
    but when i wish to run .exe ... i found no WINE
    would you mind to tell me where is xubuntu placed my WINE?
    when i run
    czgirb@czgirb-laptop:~$ wine --version
    wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1)
    czgirb@czgirb-laptop:~$
    please help me ...
    Last edited by czgirb; July 7th, 2018 at 05:22 PM.

Beans

i followed the instructed provide by ... https://tutorialforlinux.com/2018/04...04-bionic-lts/ ... to install WINE.
    but when i wish to run .exe ... i found no WINE...where has xubuntu placed my WINE?
    You need Windows installer for the program. Right click on windows installer and you should see option "Open with Wine Windows Program Loader". That should open the installer in wine and install the program itself. After install, you might get a launcher in the menu or maybe not. I can't say for sure as the wine I have runs in XFCE desktop. If not, you may want to make one. When wine installs your program, it informs you where it is to be installed. Pay attention.

Wine has no GUI, except for winecfg which configures the wine environment. Run winecfg from terminal.

Look for tutorials on wine's web site or other places on internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

If a split view file manger is needed I recommend Double Commander.
    I do not use it as default, I still also have Thunar and as Holger_Gehrke has advised Thunar has Tabbed option>>> again not the same as Split View.
    Also I feel strongly about telling you tabbed browsing in Thunar has shown me here that I need to keep an eye on the tabs as they revert to a unselected directory when using the back keyboard or mouse action at times.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Is the external mounted on reboot? If not you'll see the behavior you describe.

To my knowledge it doesn't, but you can open two instances of the program side by side if needed. Or you can use something like sunflower or mc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast