Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a start job is running for snappy daemon

Beans

Re: a start job is running for snappy daemon

@mike082112
    I believe the issue you referenced was a different problem. That relates to waiting for a network service. The problem in my case, and the OP, is about snapd.

Beans

I tried that idea, it's good to know about it but sadly has made no difference.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cromptonm View Post
    @mike082112
    I believe the issue you referenced was a different problem. That relates to waiting for a network service. The problem in my case, and the OP, is about snapd.

There are snapd on this link;
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/+source/snapd

And here how to remove if you have broken installations.
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2328152

Hope it can help.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans

Probably unrelated, but I was just having this issue after performing an update. I run Ubuntu 18.04 on virtualbox, and I figured out that if I have the virtual hard disk set to solid state drive in the options, the os won't boot, saying a start process is running for snappy daemon. If I uncheck that box, it boots normally.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jmncrr View Post
    Any fix for this problem yet?

Just use previous kernel for now i guess.

What are the risks of not using the latest kernel?

It most likely won’t break your system if you don’t update your kernel for your own risk reason, but sooner or later you’ll find programs and other packages that require a certain version of the kernel. It’s best to have the latest one so you know you won’t come across that issue.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans

So I had the same problem with snappy demon and very long boot times. After waiting for three weeks, updating and upgrading my system several times, the problem was still there. So I tried to get rid of snappy demon with

sudo apt purge snapd ubuntu-core-launcher squashfs-tools

Unfortunately, the general problem is still there (long booting time because the system waits for something). The messages I get now are

[FAILED] Failed to start Network Manager Wait Online.
    See 'systemctl status Network Manager-wait-online.service' for details
    A start job is running for Hold until boot process finishes up

etc. Any ideas? It is quite annoying, especially my Laptop is quite new and I installed Ubuntu 18.04 from scratch...

Beans

I too removed snapd and the problem moved down the chain but didn't take as long to start as snapd, however...
    The fix as per the bug report above has been released.

I have updated the kernel to 4.15.0-29-generic using Software Updater and my VM starts very quickly with no "pauses"
    There's an update too for snapd but as I have uninstalled that and have no expectation I'll be using it so will not be reinstalling it.

Beans

Hello everybody,

just wanted to mention that I got rid of the problem now. Some upgrade during the last days must have done the job. Absolutely no idea which one though.

All the best!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12