Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iso to disk, in 16.04 lts

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

iso to disk, in 16.04 lts

i got iso. 18.04lts just cant seem to get it to disk. transmission worked somehow, but know i cant configure, start up disk creator? the iso is on the destop, plus still on transmission. its also in the home directory. my blank disk is dvd+r memorex. probably could find better recording disk. i dont think, this is the problem.
    Last edited by oneleded; July 4th, 2018 at 09:22 AM.
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: iso to disk, in 16.04 lts

The tool k3b works well for me to burn an iso file to a DVD disk. (Select the slowest possible burn speed.)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

when i fist tried it, i was using start up disk creator. this was from accessories. i had skipped right over sound and video. turns out, if you right click on the iso., mine was on the desktop, it gives you the option of Xfburn, it was easy after that. i tried to run it before i did the checksum. the screen loaded to where i could check, try lubuntu without installing it. it started loading, than nothing happened. after a few minutes or so, i turned the PC off, and got the disk out. i did select the slowest burn speed i could, still?
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Hidden!

Did you check that the downloaded iso file is good? You can use md5sum for that purpose.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes

Please tell us about your computer: Brand name and model

And about your graphics chip/card and wifi chip/card (also brand name and model)

It will help us help you.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i have a dell PC, optiplex 270. 2Gb memory, can add 2GB more memory. pentium 4. i think the processor is 2995Ghz, but will have to get back to you on that. Lubuntu is on 2nd HD 250GB.
    i dont have graphics card, or, wifi card.
    i made some mistakes on setting up the 2HD, and see now, i have to change the drive set up.
    i havent figured out, out to capture that part of the screen, and put in in my post yet. it works, but is not done right. I'll get back with that as well...

Beans
    Hidden!

I found the following via the internet:
    Dell OptiPlex GX270
    Processor
    Intel 865G chipset, Intel® Pentium® 4 processor w
    ith 800 MHz front side bus and Hyper-Threading
    support or 533 MHz front side bus (depending on processor) and 512K L2 cache or Celeron® processor
    with 400 MHz front side bus and 128K L2 cache
    Operating Systems
    Microsoft Windows® XP Professional, Microsoft Windows XP Home, Mi
    crosoft Windows 2000
    Professional
    Dell recommends Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
    Memory
    4 DIMM slots (SF Chassis only has two); Non-ECC
    dual channel shared
    DDR SDRAM system memory
    (333Mhz or 400Mhz) up to 4GB on the SD and SMT chassis
    Video Graphics Controller
    Integrated Intel Extreme® Graphics 2
    This is an old computer with a CPU and the built-in graphics is not powerful enough to play well with standard Ubuntu. But the Ubuntu community flavour Lubuntu has a light desktop environment and works better with old hardware.

I have a computer with somewhat similar specs, a Dell Dimension 4600 from 2004. It runs reasonably well with Lubuntu 16.04.1 LTS which will stay with the Xenial kernel series (linux 4.4 series). You can find, download and check the iso file lubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-i386.iso, the 32-bit desktop version of the first point release, via the following link

How to select the version and flavour of Ubuntu
    Last edited by sudodus; July 12th, 2018 at 09:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i upgraded to 400 Mhz, DDR SDRAM.. Processor, x86 Family 15 model 2stepping 9 GenuineIntel~ 2992 Mhz.. some of the other info i've seen somewhere, maybe in the bios. im running XP pro. on 1st HD..
    2HD is Lubuntu 16.04. i had problems, with iso., 16.04 download, it would not burn correct to disk.. iso.14.04, iso.17.04 downloaded well, when i put them on disks.
    i upgraded 14.04 to 17.04 with the disk iso. then i updated 17.04 to latest LTS version, which was 16.04 LTS.. Somehow i got pieces of 14.04 and some 64bit file?, injected into 16.04...
    I want to install 18.04, with this system if possible.. i got to yet to use md5sum, with the 18.04lts iso. i think i will try it in windows, just to see what happens. besides i have the md5sum program installed on windows. i will try to get back, to this thread asap with results, but will still check for updates to latest post. //Ed

Beans
    Hidden!

My similar computer (Dell Dimension 4600) works with Lubuntu 18.04 LTS, so I think it should work for you too. Good luck

Chances are much better with a fresh installation compared to upgrading from a previous version.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

just wanted to say thanks sudous. lubuntu 18.04 was downloaded from the Lubuntu.me site. it didnt pass the checksum.

Beans
    Hidden!

lubuntu.me is the official site of the Lubuntu community (which is officially recognized by Ubuntu).

Please try again, or try via http://releases.ubuntu.com/, where you can also find torrent files. One advantage with the torrent method is that the checksum is part of the process, so you should get it right that way without having to try more than once.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast