Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 32 bits

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 32 bits

There was mention earlier in this thread about Brother (and perhaps other manufacturers) printer drivers being 32 bit. They still are I believe. I just installed a new MoBo combo, B450 chipset 2nd generation Ryzen processor. I'm pretty sure those are 64 bit. I can say with certainty that current Brother printer and scanner drivers install and function just fine. So 32 bit software on 64 bit hardware seems to be a lesser issue. Trying to run 64 bit OSs on 32 bit hardware on the other hand -- thassa problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

What I remember is that by going to more bit hardware the programming efficiency becomes less. Something about having to use 32 bit length while you only need 8 bit to 'say' what u want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Perhaps (and I noticed no one mentioning this) the reason why 32 bit is being discontinued, is the 2038 problem!
    Do you remember the Y2K problem? This was when the dating convention had the year as a 2 digit number, and when it hit 1 January 2000, they thought the date would be 1 January 1900; panic ensued, planes would fall out of the sky, yadda yadda yadda! But nothing happened; why? Because software was updated to allow 4 digit years!
    This isn't the only timing issue, there is the the Year 2038 problem: A background.
    UNIX developed a timing system that started on 1 January 1970 UTC; using a signed 32 bit integer it counts seconds. It will reach its maximum on 03:14:07 UTC on Tuesday, 19 January 2038, after which it will fall back to 20:45:52 on Friday, 13 December 1901 (yes Friday the 13th)!
    How to fix this? move to a 64 bit system!
    My calendar is confused
    At the beginning it has M and T for Monday and Tuesday
    At the end it has 2 S' for Saturday and Sunday
    In the middle; WTF?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Year 2038 problem? Fixed if someone compiles a 32 bit version of Linux 5.6 or later.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...bit-Past-Y2038

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The Zombie Apocalypse, followed by the asteroid impact in 2037 (much bigger than the Chicxulub event that ended the reign of non-avian dinosaurs), will destroy the Earth as we know it before 2038. Only cockroaches will survive, and they don't use computers. However, 7 milliion years after that, they will have evolved to the point where they will re-invent a new sort of computer and an internet completely devoid of cat videos.
    Last edited by QIII; November 18th, 2020 at 03:43 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

but will they use .deb or .rpm as package manager?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

2038 is a long time for my 32bit Netbook to survive. Something tells me it won't last that long.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567