Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 32 bits

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: 32 bits

tis a sad day, yet, a better day. i some feel like i lost a best friend.. good thing i met linux...
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ubotbuddy View Post
    My old analog system runs on a binary system, and my processor id faster than anything on the market and it is 100% hack proof.

OH wait! Are we talking about computer OS's?
    Not enough data. But...

If androids do dream of electric sheep, then there is a chance (depending on the observer) that your old analog system runs on a quantum computer.

Last edited by sisco311; June 19th, 2019 at 09:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

is 42 the ultimate answer?
    work's for me
    Last edited by oneleded; June 20th, 2019 at 07:23 AM.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Ya ever get the feeling it's time to move on, but the HP deskjet 5150, dont use much ink, and the Logitech, Wireless Optical Trackman Mouse, you will not ever find anything like that again.
    yes, i dream of the 55,1st edition, Chevy Truck Apache, an much more. when andriod's dream of electronic sheep,
    then they will find eventually out, 42, is the answer..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There will be embedded 32-bit processors used for the next 50 yrs.
    i386 CPUs are still being made today for embedded, industrial, use.
    There are computers sized smaller than your pinky fingernail. They don't need 64-bit.

I earned a living porting 16-bit programs to 32-bit and again, porting 32-bit programs to 64-bit systems. Most of WINE is still 32-bit, so if you are a gamer, the dropping of 32-bit support by Ubuntu and other Linux distros is a huge problem for you. I have probably 20 games from the 1990s that are fun to run still. There isn't any 64-bit version and there never will be. I'll probably need to install Debian to run those games ever again. Some of them weren't cheap - over $100.

IPv6 is 128-bit addressing, BTW. I've heard that it is large enough to assign every molecule in the known universe a unique IP. ZFS has been using 128-bit addressing for 15+ yrs now. If you work with huge data, you want more data transferred in larger blocks to speed up processing. The data channels always lead before the CPUs can handle larger instructions natively.

There have been very odd size CPUs, which seems counter intuitive, since binary leads to powers of 2 solutions.
    There have been 24, 26, 28, 31, 60 bit computers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/31-bit lots of other sizes that weren't too popular, but 31-bit was used on IBM 370s, which was crazy popular.

Don't be so elitist. Smaller bit-sized computing has a place.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Most of WINE is still 32-bit, so if you are a gamer, the dropping of 32-bit support by Ubuntu and other Linux distros is a huge problem for you.
    I get that servers is where Canonical make money, but this is how you alienate a big chunk of your desktop users.

It's particularly striking that the issue with Steam and WINE was known on the mailing list that decided this over a year ago, but this announcement seems to have come as an unpleasant surprise to both.

Beans

They may continue the 32-bit libraries that Wine depends on... if they don't care to lose a bunch of desktop gamers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by superian View Post
    I get that servers is where Canonical make money, but this is how you alienate a big chunk of your desktop users.

It's particularly striking that the issue with Steam and WINE was known on the mailing list that decided this over a year ago, but this announcement seems to have come as an unpleasant surprise to both.
    They knew it was coming, but like a death in the family by someone with a chronic illness, it is still a surprise when it actually happens.
    Valve developer says they won't support Ubuntu after 18.04.
    https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/06/...ort-for-ubuntu

I don't game much, but I have a few games that I'd like to run from the 1990s at some point.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by artimboy View Post
    They may continue the 32-bit libraries that Wine depends on... if they don't care to lose a bunch of desktop gamers.
    At the link below users can follow and contribute to the discussion of 32 bit support in Ubuntu.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ne/000245.html

There seems to have been a miscommunication that there will no 32 bit support from 19.10 on but apparently there will be, it will just be frozen updates like many of the programs that use 32 bit anyway.

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/i386-...1263/84?u=d0od

Beans
    Hidden!

There seems to have been a miscommunication that there will no 32 bit support from 19.10 on but apparently there will be, it will just be frozen updates
    That miscommunication has taken the tech press by storm. If there are corrections to be made, they will need to travel far beyond this forum. Steam is supposedly dropping Ubuntu support over this. Wine is concerned as well.
    Last edited by freemedia2018; June 24th, 2019 at 05:51 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast