Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 32 bits

karl47 is offline Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans
    Beans

Re: 32 bits

I changed the system to a 64 bit system a long time ago, because I could not even install anything normally

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

supposedly there are 12, last i heard, sub atomic particles, and when you multiply them against all the missing socks, + shoes on the side of the road, you get a multi-verse.
    hate to be there, if they collide. could ya imagine, if you got 12 or so, people just screaming at ya, that look the same. identical
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oneleded View Post
    supposedly there are 12, last i heard, sub atomic particles
    Seventeen known elementary particles, and more if you include composite ones.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

There are plenty of 32 bit capable distros to choose from outside the Buntu world.
    That may have been true in 2019, but here about a year later, 32-bit distros are getting thin on the ground. The most convenient (for me anyway) has been the BunsenLabs Lithium spin on 32-bit Debian. It gives a usable desktop out of the box that runs on my hardware and can run as a Live_CD for installation and hardware compatibility testing!

I can understand all of the 64-bit fanboys' justifications for their preferences, but my low-mileage 32-bit-only Pentium-M notebook keeps chugging away at everything except HD video. It's keyboard is even better than my high-dollar OEM-Linux notebook from 2013; not surprising since it originally cost twice as much. I can't justify trashing my old 32-bit notebook until I've wrung the last bit of usability out of it.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

keyboards are a different matter. for some reason they don't make them like they used to. but they do make them more shinny.

the OS switch and the CPU switch should have been done by 2010. but for some reason 32 bit CPUs were continued to be designed and made. on the other hand the software didn't have major reasons to upgrade. until very recently the default office install continued to be 32 bit. i believe we have 32 bit on company PCs as well. the change between 16 bit and 32 bit happened a lot faster.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oneleded View Post
    then they will find eventually out, 42, is the answer..
    They already know 42 is the answer. They just don't know what the question is...

Quote Originally Posted by Artim View Post
    They may continue the 32-bit libraries that Wine depends on... if they don't care to lose a bunch of desktop gamers.
    You know, I understand the reason for going with 64-Bit processors, and the advancement of technology, etc.
    But some of those old 8-Bit games were downright genius. Some of the old 8-Bit Nintendo games were designed almost "perfectly," to coin the phrase. I mean, how hard is it to pop a cartridge of Super Mario Brothers into your Nintendo, and just play.

No instruction manual necessary... just play. And ANYBODY can figure out what you need to do in less than 5 minutes. Go to the right, jump over things... and then you start learning about hidden blocks, warp pipes, warp zones, and hidden areas accidentally.

I will never forget the time my friend and I were playing "The Legend of Zelda." We were just looking around for stuff, and wanted to attack an enemy with the candle "fire." Well, it missed, and landed on a bush... next thing you know, the bush burned away to become a staircase! That opened up a whole new realm of possibilities for us!

Anyway, I don't want to get off subject here, but I miss the "bye-gone" era for a number of reasons. And I am sure I will miss the 32-Bit era in similar ways.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

don't forget, you can still run a 32-bit userland in a container (or even just a chroot) on a 64-bit kernel. so you can do the phases of 32-bit development that really need to run in 32-bit on the same machine as the other parts (like the compiler running as a cross-compiler, in 64-bit mode making 32-bit code). lots of excuses for not doing 32-bit are just not real. but there are real ones like "why train the support team on 32-bit just for the butt-end of the market".
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans

The sense of humor here is awesome. Something to use my unmatched socks?

On topic, my 32 Asus netbook is still chugging along as a Motion server running Debian 10. Looks like Debian 11 will be supporting 32 bit as well. I keep thinking the netbook will die before the next release but it has proven me wrong a few times.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lammert-nijhof View Post
    I just installed 32-bits Peppermint 9 Respin on a 2003 Pentium 4 HT with 2 x 40 GB of IDE disks. It uses btrfs with "RAID-0" and LZO compression. It boots in 45 seconds.

I hate those modern times, there is no time anymore to fetch a cup of coffee during booting, even not with a 32-bits PC.

This beautiful piece of antiques from 15½ years ago has been made very useful again with super modern Linux Software. What hardware do we have here:
    - A case with Windows 98-SE sticker from Compaq
    - A motherboard with a last update of October 2003
    from a HP D530 SFF
    - A Pentium 4 HT on 3.0 GHz (32 bits) a CPU with dual memory access. Very modern for 2003.
    - 2 x 1 GB DDR memory at 400 MHz
    - Classic PCI sound card
    - 2 x 40 GB IDE disks, each with ~60 MB/s throughput
    - 1 x DVD ROM
    - 17" Philips Monitor (CRT) at 1280 x 1024
    - A new 600 Watt power-supply, as a bonus for the purchase of a new cabinet for my future AMD Ryzen PC. The power-supply had 2 old Molex connectors for the old IDE disks.

Firefox loads in ~1 second from the cache with only one exception; the 1st time after booting (5 seconds). Who needs YouTube HD videos, if you can run it at 480p? The cache size using Firefox is >1 GB.

I think we should keep 32-bits. Who needs >4 GB, it runs perfectly in 2 GB

Sorry, but I changed that machine completely. It now runs a headless backup-server with FreeBSD 12.1.
    ZFS on Linux did not really support its 32-bits version, so I moved to FreeBSD. I use the system since June 2019 like this.
    The system configuration is now:

- A case with Windows 98-SE sticker from Compaq
    - A motherboard with a last update of October 2003
    from a HP D530 SFF
    - A Pentium 4 HT on 3.0 GHz (32 bits) a CPU with dual memory access. Very modern for 2003.

- 1 x 1 GB and 1 x 256 MB DDR memory at 400 MHz, one 1 GB stick died
    - 1.2 TB of HDDs; 250 and 320 GB IDE disks
    3.5" and 2 x 320 GB SATA-1 disks 2.5"
    - 1 x DVD ROM and 1 x CD (not used), but mounted to keep the case closed.
    - A new 600 Watt iTech power-supply, with 2 SATA and 2 Molex plugs

I expect the iTech power supply has a "60+ Leather" rating, since the price was DOP 800 ($15). I don't worry too much, because the original HP-SFF had a 250W power supply and the other side is protected by a 1200W Avtek Surge Protector. Note that the power supply has been by far the most expensive part, since the remainder are left-overs from the past.

The system is connected with the world by two cables: Power and Ethernet (1 Gbps). The P4 just manages 200 Mbps with a CPU load of 95% on one of the CPU threads. I use the system for ~1 hour/week, so I expect it will survive for many years, since in one year it ages say 1 week
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; October 22nd, 2020 at 06:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

UN-matched socks, run perfect, within a band. cant say about the music or lyrics, to most.
    that then, can work with with 8-bits, still need's to be, should be a place, to preserve it. , those that moved on, 64, the same.,
    all places for all. sorta like what this forum is based on.
    Last edited by oneleded; October 24th, 2020 at 08:08 AM.
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast