Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 32 bits

Beans

Re: 32 bits

It affects all my netbooks though. Useful mini-laptops with (typically) a 7 inch screen.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i have windows XP on my PC, i added a new disk where i installed Kubuntu to it. I bought the PC in 2004 with the intention of replacing the CPU later on with Phenom. I didn't do that so now i am stuck with single core AMD64. It had a few smaller upgrades and replacements (PSU, GPU, hard disk), but overall the configuration remained the same (e.g. replaced GPU has similar computing power, just a bit more ram). now the PC does all i need it to do. sure it is not the fastest (benchmark is about 500 points, compared to nowadays 10.000+ points), but it can do web browsing well, i can do online banking on it, tax return submissions, office work, picture editing, videos (watching and editing up to a point)... it can even run most directx9 as well as games up to about 2013 (but it depends on their GPU and CPU demands). i don't have that much time for games these days, but the kids do and they would use it for that. i also enjoy it sometimes to relax a bit.

so why should i throw it away if it works and works well for my needs? i though it would die and have been planning on getting a new one for a while, but it just keeps on working. also spending 60 EUR on a new 80 bronze PSU replacement is cheaper than getting a new 400 EUR PC.
    Indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    It affects all my netbooks though. Useful mini-laptops with (typically) a 7 inch screen.
    I only have one Netbook, but it refuses to die. It is getting a fresh install of Debian 10 as soon as it releases. I am in no hurry since my desktop is running the Motion cameras for now.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Again, most of these are 64bit capable. And to those talking about software, again the developer choose to make their program 32bit KNOWING 64 bit would replace it, the problem is with the developer. All computers going back almost 20 years now, are 64 bit capable.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

still dumber than a box of rocks, when it comes to linux.. "ext4", dont that relate to 64 bts in some, form or fashion? 2 more memory cards, i think i can extend the old dell out for a moment longer.. as it runs now, its enough to suit me.. 2002, model dell 270..
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by oneleded View Post
    "ext4", dont that relate to 64 bts in some, form or fashion?
    Not in the slightest. It's the version of the ext filesystem that followed ext3, which was the version that followed ext2.

Beans

I need 32-bit to run my Canon printer though, the printer driver available in CUPS isn't as good, it's feature limited compared to the driver provided by Canon, and Canon only released their driver for 32-bit.

And reading some other threads, Brother also only provides their printer drivers for 32-bit Linux only.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

No need to let go of the printers There are plenty of 32 bit capable distros to choose from outside the Buntu world.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

can i use GTP, instead of MBR on 1st hard drive? 2002 dell, 270 0ptiplex. i deleted lubuntu, sda1. lost mbr, i cant access sdb, as yet. i will. sda is 250GB linux drive. i messed up the grub. while i am at it though, i just want to know..
    thats not the question i want to ask. sorry..
    i have to reread the article again. i think it runs towards; can i change my HDD drive to GPT.
    i'm on a 2002 Dell Optiplex (spell check cant help me on that one)..
    my 250GB hard drive should be able to run GPT, if i read the article correctly.. or is it my BIOS, should be Legacy.
    BIOS sounds more like it. i think my BIOS can handle it, and my Hard drive, also. thanks, i got to ext file system understood now.
    just to see if GPT is similar..
    Last edited by oneleded; December 4th, 2019 at 11:00 PM.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

32 is just about so dead., at least that are my thoughts. at [once appoint a time], i was worried about ext4, now, i suffer through XFS file system.,
    just a thing. my marble mouse, is still working from 2002, a mouse from Logitech,. wonder if those people will ever wake up. there is another world, that dont include windows. and its getting more so., at least in my future...
    now, to get around some other places of influence. ed

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    As a number, 32-bit is limited to ± 2 billion. That's just not enough for modern times; it's only 2Gb.

As a number, 64-bit is limited to ± 9 quintillion (around 9 times 10^18, or 9 exabytes). That is a gigantic number, enough to last us for well past the foreseeable future.

Unless quantum computing opens up an unimagined need (like, really unimagined), it is unlikely that we'll ever need a 128-bit machine. Because 128-bit is limited to a humongous gazillion (nearly twice 10^38 to be specific), which makes 64-bit look like a miniscule dot. It even makes the number of atoms in the sun look piddly.

So don't worry about conversion to 128-bit. It's not going to happen in our lifetime, or that of our children or grandchildren.

Disclaimer: I could be wrong…
    I bet the people running the simulation that we don't realize we inhabit use at least 512-bit architecture.

That should just about cover all the sub-atomic particles in the universe AND account for all the socks without mates in all of our dressers.
    Last edited by QIII; September 10th, 2020 at 03:54 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast