Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 32 bits

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: 32 bits

i got lubuntu, on the old 32 bit windows i got in 2000. and while, when i upgrade, to a more advanced system. i still want to keep lubuntu. i have to learn a lot, to, still use this os. when learning how to use a free system, even being free to learn how.. why even try to learn, when its as windows. and uncomfortable zone, spy's. i'm only 63, yet, i still need to learn.
    innovation, comes from desperation, and new ideals. why, keep older things going?, because it leads to progress, an innovation. getting old tech, to work well, makes new tech work better. if linux was only for new tech, i would be the less for it.
    Last edited by oneleded; February 12th, 2019 at 06:36 AM.
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Hidden!

We're at the best point of computer technology at the moment - At least up to the point where we work out how to get it to do all our jobs and we're all just computer mechanics working out how to make a computer to do that job too - Oh skynet, were you such a crazy idea....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just installed 32-bits Peppermint 9 Respin on a 2003 Pentium 4 HT with 2 x 40 GB of IDE disks. It uses btrfs with "RAID-0" and LZO compression. It boots in 45 seconds.

I hate those modern times, there is no time anymore to fetch a cup of coffee during booting, even not with a 32-bits PC.

This beautiful piece of antiques from 15½ years ago has been made very useful again with super modern Linux Software. What hardware do we have here:
    - A case with Windows 98-SE sticker from Compaq
    - A motherboard with a last update of October 2003

- A Pentium 4 HT on 3.0 GHz (32 bits) a CPU with dual memory access. Very modern for 2003.
    - 2 x 1 GB DDR memory at 400 MHz
    - Classic PCI sound card
    - 2 x 40 GB IDE disks, each with ~60 MB/s throughput
    - 1 x DVD ROM
    - 17" Philips Monitor (CRT) at 1280 x 1024
    - 600 Watt power-supply, as a bonus for the purchase of a new cabinet for my future AMD Ryzen PC. The power-supply had 2 old Molex connectors for the old IDE disks.

Firefox loads in ~1 second from the cache with only one exception; the 1st time after booting (5 seconds). Who needs YouTube HD videos, if you can run it at 480p? The cache size using Firefox is >1 GB.

I think we should keep 32-bits. Who needs >4 GB, it runs perfectly in 2 GB
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; February 10th, 2019 at 05:11 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by JayKay3OOO View Post
    .... we're all just computer mechanics working out how to make a computer to do that job too ....
    meh, they will do that as well. they already compose songs and such. the programming will be probably something like programing the computer in star trek.

"computer take me to the nearest M planet and drop out of warp at teleport distance".
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lammert-nijhof View Post
    I just installed 32-bits Peppermint 9 Respin on a 2003 Pentium 4 HT with 2 x 40 GB of IDE disks. It uses btrfs with "RAID-0" and LZO compression. It boots in 45 seconds.

I hate those modern times, there is no time anymore to fetch a cup of coffee during booting, even not with a 32-bits PC.

This beautiful piece of antiques from 15½ years ago has been made very useful again with super modern Linux Software. What hardware do we have here:

- A Pentium 4 HT on 3.0 GHz (32 bits) a CPU with dual memory access. Very modern for 2003.
    - Classic PCI sound card
    - 1 x DVD ROM
    - 600 Watt power-supply, as a bonus for the purchase of a new cabinet for my future AMD Ryzen PC. The power-supply had 2 old Molex connectors for the old IDE disks.

Firefox loads in ~1 second from the cache with only one exception; the 1st time after booting (5 seconds). Who needs YouTube HD videos, if you can run it at 480p? The cache size using Firefox is >1 GB.

Peppermint 9 is an excellent Linux Distro.

Have a look at this if you really want to make that computer fly.

https://antixlinux.com/about/
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lammert-nijhof View Post

- Classic PCI sound card
    - 1 x DVD ROM

i have near the same set up. a dell, optiplex 270. i can add 2 more memory, at 1GB DDR 400 MHz. to the motherboard.
    on my 2nd HD, i have lubuntu installed. it takes a bit to start, but is so much faster than XP, when i visit xp, on the 1st HD, i cant believe how slow it is to start, or shut down.
    once ya get a shot of linux, is enough to want more.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

even the small dristro's for the most part, are going 64 bit's. sum, of the linux sites say, with in two years, 32 bit's will be gone. it had a good run though. ya cant knock that. 64 bit's, will it run that long? dont know. windows XP, had a long spell. after it, more an more version's. even the light dristro's, linux are going 64 bit's,, a sign of the times. time to upgrade, an understatement big time. lols
    on the side, ford keeps making their trucks bigger. dont know why. my small 85 ford ranger would get 27mpg, on the open road, pulling a fully loaded john boat, camping stuff, an such. the newer trucks, 15-16 miles per gallon on the open road, huge, as find a parking spot,[granted the ranger i had was small,4-cyl], an now all the companies, US, want to get rid of small vehicles. crazy, aint it. sorry, i got carried away..and off subject.
    Last edited by oneleded; June 16th, 2019 at 09:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

When 16 bits became the norm in the MS-DOS days, even Bill Gates said we would never need more than 640K of memory. I remember those days (yes... I'm a geezer)

Then when 32 bits became popular with the 386 and higher, we could then access 4 GB of memory. Back then, that was a LOT... never imagined we'd max that out, especially since virtual memory could be even bigger on these chips. Now we're buying machines with at least 8 GB, and more often, 16 GB RAM standard, and high-end machines with 32GB or more. I remember when hard drives were measured in tens of megabytes. LOL.

Now we're in 64 bits and have plenty of address space for any amount of RAM we're likely to have now, but for how long? Even though each bit doubles the address space, and the numbers are increasing exponentially, we may end up getting into the exabyte RAM territory in another 20 years. And we'll be asking when 64-bit will die as we install 128-bit Ubuntu 40.04 LTS. LOL.

There's additional benefits to "more bits" besides memory size... data size. 64 bit CPUs can process 8 bytes at once, and assuming the data bus is 64 bits, can write 8 bytes to and from RAM at once. It can do integer math up to 2^64 without additional instructions. 128 bits will increase that even more (16 bytes at once).
    Last edited by kpatz; June 16th, 2019 at 05:54 PM.
    Current 'buntu systems: multiple systems running Server or Desktop 22.04 LTS / Retired or Upgraded: 18.04.2 LTS, Mythbuntu 16.04 LTS, Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS, 14.04 LTS, 10.04 LTS, 8.04 LTS
    Been using ubuntu since 6.04 (16 years!)

Beans

My old analog system runs on a binary system, and my processor id faster than anything on the market and it is 100% hack proof.

OH wait! Are we talking about computer OS's?

I haven't reboot my brain in years and I still dream in Assembler. Ahhhhh the good ole days.

Yes, I'm an old geezer too.

Buddy

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

With emulation and virtualization technologies available, going from 32bit to 64bit should be a no-brainer.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast