Thread: date in top bar is not perfectly centered because of the dock

Beans

date in top bar is not perfectly centered because of the dock

Hi everyone, I recently updated to 18.04 and so I moved to GNOME.
    The problem is that the date in top bar is not centered, but I discovered that it starts being perfectly centered when the option to automatically hide the dock is active. With this option the date is centered even when the dock is displayed, so I don't understand why it doesn't work like that when the dock is set up to always be visibile.
    I have attached two screenshot for comparison, hope someone can help me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: date in top bar is not perfectly centered because of the dock

Quote Originally Posted by pippero98 View Post
    Hi everyone, I recently updated to 18.04 and so I moved to GNOME.
    The problem is that the date in top bar is not centered, but I discovered that it starts being perfectly centered when the option to automatically hide the dock is active. With this option the date is centered even when the dock is displayed, so I don't understand why it doesn't work like that when the dock is set up to always be visibile.
    I have attached two screenshot for comparison, hope someone can help me.
    Interesting question. With autohide off, and dock always visible, the full screen window will be narrower than your monitor's display. So the date/time display moves to be centered over the reduced full-screen window.
    Last edited by Dennis N; March 4th, 2019 at 07:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Indeed, Ubuntu changed the position of the clock in 18.04 so it would be centered over your available workspace (minus the dock). The need of this is most seen on a maximized window with a title bar. With the clock centered over the display, it would not center-align with a title of a maximized window without the correction (as was the case in 17.10).

Thus, with autohide: clock is centered over the entire display width
    without autohide: clock is shifted to the right to center over the workspace (=display minus the dock).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Indeed, Ubuntu changed the position of the clock in 18.04 so it would be centered over your available workspace (minus the dock). The need of this is most seen on a maximized window with a title bar. With the clock centered over the display, it would not center-align with a title of a maximized window without the correction (as was the case in 17.10).

Thus, with autohide: clock is centered over the entire display width
    without autohide: clock is shifted to the right to center over the workspace (=display minus the dock).
    thanks, I didn't think about the align with the window title! I guess the only way I have to make it look prettier is to edit the wallpaper so it looks aligned to the workspace center...