Thread: Fusion 360 graphic problem

Beans

Fusion 360 graphic problem

Hi,
    I've got a NUC7i5 (Intel) on which I'm running Ubuntu mate 18.04.
    I've installed VirtualBox, Windows 10 and Fusion 360.
    When I'm using Fusion 360 and I draw in 3D, the solids appearance become weird :

I checked the "/Help/Graphic Diagnostic/Limit effects to optimize performance" box, with no result.
    To be sure it was not due to my computer hardware, I installed Windows 10 then Fusion 360 into a partition on my HDD, checked the "/Help/Graphic Diagnostic/Limit effects to optimize performance" box, and it worked well.

I guess that the problem comes from Ubuntu and maybe from the graphic driver.

I have also ttried to use Simplify 3D in VirtualBox, but when I launch this program a widow pops up saying that Simplify 3D needs OpenGL 2.0 or higher and that my version is only 1.1.

Can you help me please to solve this problem ?
    I've erased the Windows 10 partition, and I'd like to be able to use Fusion 360 in VirtualBox (or any other virtualisation program).

Regards
    Thierry

Beans

Re: Fusion 360 graphic problem

Nobody ?
    If this can help :

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Typically you need to enable 3d Acceleration in the Virtualbox settings page for the virtual machine in question. (Should be in the Displays section)
    And then you double down and install the guest additions inside the virtual machine.

The OpenGL issue is a virtual machine issue (the guest) and not an Ubuntu issue (the host).
    Refer:
    https://blogs.oracle.com/scoter/3d-a...untu-guests-v2
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Vi...GuestAdditions
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Hi Deadflowr,
    hopelessly, it's already done (acceleration and guest addition).
    Thierry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Oh, reading this makes me sad about it:
    https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewto...=82614#p398391
    Seems like a bust at this point.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Let's forget OpenGL.
    I would like to be sure that the graphic driver which has been installed by the Ubuntu installer is the best one and - if not - that it can be changed for a better one.
    But I don't know how to do.
    I've looked into the driver manager and it is not showing any installed proprietary driver : I thought there might be an Intel driver somewhere.
    What I can see in the terminal window above is that something is "unloaded" : fbdev, vesa.
    Is it the beginning of a solution ?
    Thierry

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In general, virtual machines don't have direct access to the underlying hardware. That would defeat the purpose of using a VM, most of the time. There is only 1 GPU driver for vbox VMs - the one provided by the virtualbox.

If you are an expert, and if your system has 2 physical GPUs, and if your BIOS and motherboard support PCI passthru and if 1 of the GPUs is in a "supported list" (which is relatively small), and you enable IOMMU in the BIOS and in the kernel .... if all these things are true, then you'd just need a hypervisor to support GPU passthru. I know that KVM and Xen support this. Don't know if any other hypervisors do. After all that, then you might be able to passthru 1 GPU to the VM for exclusive use.

Looks like virtualbox can do it: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch...pcipassthrough

If these seems non-trivial, that is because it is.
    Last edited by TheFu; July 7th, 2018 at 04:53 PM.