Thread: Utilizing Specter/Meltdown-vulnerable computers safely: possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Utilizing Specter/Meltdown-vulnerable computers safely: possible?

Due to budgetary constraints, the majority of the computers I own are old enough that they will never receive patches for Specter/Meltdown vulnerabilities. Is there a way to safely/securely use these computers in a home environment? For example, could I use a new inexpensive computer (Beagleboard or equivalent?) to act as a firewall between my home network and the Internet? Or is my only option to keep the older computers completely disconnected from the grid? Ideas welcomed.
    Last edited by MoebusNet; June 25th, 2018 at 04:54 PM. Reason: clarity
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Utilizing Specter/Meltdown-vulnerable computers safely: possible?

The sky is not falling. If I were you I would continue to use my computers as normal.

But we have a Security sub-forum where the more security focused like to hang out and exchange exploits
    Last edited by thenailedone; June 25th, 2018 at 07:52 PM. Reason: added stuff
    Gaming on Linux has never been better - Check out Proton on Steam (great user made Proton Database) and Lutris
    How to ask questions the smart way

Beans

Yeah all of my computers are old core 2 duos and I'm not going to sweat it as this seems to have been around long before anyone was aware of it.

I also have faith in the Ubuntu devs and the Firefox devs keeping us old computer users as myself secure as best that can be done.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

Is it safe to say using 2FA and NoScript should protect those of us with non patched CPUs because the exploit is read only and an attacker can't gain control of the computer?

I am in two minds about throwing out a mint condition computer because it feels such a waste.

However, I don't mind anyone reading my data as long as they can't gain root privileges if that makes sense?