Thread: No Network Manager, help!

Beans

No Network Manager, help!

Hello, so I recently installed Ubuntu 17.10 onto a PC that I built for my birthday. When I went to connect to a network I realized that I didn't have a Network manager to connect to Wifi. I would really like to know how to install Network Manager, thank you in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: No Network Manager, help!

Since it's a new setup. can you download 18.04 and install that instead.
    17.10 will lose support in a couple of weeks now.
    18.04 will be supported for another 4 years and nine months or so.

But in terms of networking setup, isn't there something for that in System settings?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

I'm pretty sure if I try to download 18.04 it won't let me download it since I don't have internet. Also, for everything having to do with wifi in the settings, they all say Netowrk manager needs to be running.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Before you installed 17.10, I assume you created the 17.10 live/install disk. You can create the 18.04 disk in the same way. People shouldn't be installing 17.10 any more. When you install 18.04 from the official live disk, you should get everything you need for networking, with the possible exception of some wifi drivers. The trick is to set up a wired connection and then allow the system to find and install the required drivers automatically. The wired network interface is so standardised that it always works.

Beans

Well I bought the usb Ubuntu 17.20 came on. Do you think I should buy one for 18.04?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nezrexus View Post
    Well I bought the usb Ubuntu 17.20 came on. Do you think I should buy one for 18.04?
    I bought a usb for Ubuntu 18.04 so hopefully it works.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    Before you installed 17.10, I assume you created the 17.10 live/install disk. You can create the 18.04 disk in the same way. People shouldn't be installing 17.10 any more. When you install 18.04 from the official live disk, you should get everything you need for networking, with the possible exception of some wifi drivers. The trick is to set up a wired connection and then allow the system to find and install the required drivers automatically. The wired network interface is so standardised that it always works.
    Thanks may be it works