Thread: Running IP cameras on UBUNTU, best options

Beans

Running IP cameras on UBUNTU, best options

Hello all,

I'm new to Ubuntu, this is only my second post, so please bear with me if this is posted in the wrong forum.

I have a computer that I am currently loading Ubuntu onto (small form factor PC), that I would like to use to control and possibly record several wired network security cameras.

My questions are twofold, hardware and software.

Hardware. What is a viable solution to connect 4-6 wired cameras (I'm not considering wireless cameras at this time) to the computer? A common router (which I have on hand) or a switch, or another option?

Software. I'd appreciate a recommendation for a good, open source security camera program. I need it to be able to display multiple cameras on a monitor. I'd prefer it if I could access it over the internet and I'd REALLY love it if it could act as a DVR and record camera feeds (I can attach network storage as needed).

A final question. I would like this computer and router/switch to be basically it's own network (separate from my main network), but with a wired internet connection. Thoughts on that would be appreciated as well.

Sorry if this is a tall order, as I said I am new to Ubuntu/Linux and am learning a LOT. This is an ongoing project (and an experiment and learning experience), so time is not a factor. I want to learn and build what I need myself.

Thanks for any input.

SRC

Beans

Re: Running IP cameras on UBUNTU, best options

You can use a program such as 'motion' or 'zoneminder', or you can DIY the whole thing:
    https://www.aeronetworks.ca/2018/04/...streaming.html