Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Create backup image of running Ubuntu?

Beans

Create backup image of running Ubuntu?

On Windows there is software like Acronis True Image that can create full backup images of a currently running system. Is there any alternative on Ubuntu for doing that?
    Requirements:

• still supported / maintained (e.g. not the case for systemback)
    • is able to make a consistent backup of a running system (e.g. live CDs like clonezilla are not what I am looking for)

Thanks for any hint on this!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Create backup image of running Ubuntu?

Hello and welcome to the forums, I've use Clonezilla Live: http://clonezilla.org/ in the past for backups it will and can clone your entire system. You will have to read the help pages for better understanding on how to do this

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RobGoss View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forums, I've use Clonezilla Live: http://clonezilla.org/ in the past for backups it will and can clone your entire system. You will have to read the help pages for better understanding on how to do this
    Disk/partition has to be unmounted before Clonezilla can image it, how does this help the OP ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

(e.g. live CDs like clonezilla are not what I am looking for)
    Sorry I did not see this last section of your post

Beans

You may find interesting Timeshift:

"System restore tool for Linux. Creates filesystem snapshots using rsync+hardlinks, or BTRFS snapshots. Supports scheduled snapshots, multiple backup levels, and exclude filters. Snapshots can be restored while system is running or from Live CD/USB. "

https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift

Beans

I'm also looking for a solution that many tools offer for windows where a system image of the running system disk can be created and later restored in case of disaster.
    So is there a tool (even paid) that can clone the entire system disk into a second disk while the system is running ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by danik56 View Post
    I'm also looking for a solution that many tools offer for windows where a system image of the running system disk can be created and later restored in case of disaster.
    So is there a tool (even paid) that can clone the entire system disk into a second disk while the system is running ?
    What's wrong with the solution in the reply above your post?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I 2nd Timeshift. I've just done an experimental Backup/Restore on my Linux Mint 19 xfce system, & it went without a problem.
    The latest version can be installed via a ppa from here:
    http://www.teejeetech.in/p/timeshift.html

Beans

Can Timeshift clone the entire system HDD while the system is up ?
    I forgot to mention that I have ZFS file system with Ubuntu 17.04, so maybe I can consider using the ZFS mirror feature to replicate the system drive on a 2ed identical drive ?
    Last edited by danik56; June 23rd, 2018 at 01:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by danik56 View Post
    Can Timeshift clone the entire system HDD while the system is up ?
    I forgot to mention that I have ZFS file system with Ubuntu 17.04, so maybe I can consider using the ZFS mirror feature to replicate the system drive on a 2ed identical drive ?
    Sorry for the drive by>> but if you are really using Ubuntu 17.04 this will be a futile effort 17.04 is past EOL and no support.
    Timeshift will not clone your system bit for bit but will copy (back-up) just what is installed currently IE /Home/ or other parts like /etc, /boot, /root that you tell it to.
    EDIT More info on TimeShift:
    Timeshift for Linux is an application that provides functionality similar to the System Restore feature in Windows and the Time Machine tool in Mac OS. Timeshift protects your system by taking incremental snapshots of the file system at regular intervals. These snapshots can be restored at a later date to undo all changes to the system.

In RSYNC mode, snapshots are taken using rsync and hard-links. Common files are shared between snapshots which saves disk space. Each snapshot is a full system backup that can be browsed with a file manager.
    I see no mention for ZFS so I'm in the dark for that.
    Last edited by 1fallen; June 23rd, 2018 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Added Info
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast