Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Create backup image of running Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Create backup image of running Ubuntu?

Before I would upgrade from 17.04, I'd like to have a perfect clone of the system drive, in case I need to go back to 17.04.
    That is why I asked the question in the first place.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I mean no disrespect but this makes no sense to me, but as you wish>> "I" prefer
    Clonezilla: https://clonezilla.org/
    I still have no first hand experience with a "ZFS" file system so keep that in mind.

And it is important to run Clonezilla from a Live medium IE: CD or USB device.
    Please read the link thoroughly provided for Clonezilla site I showed.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Sorry for asking, but doesn't it make sense to have a valid backup of the system (valid means verifiable and able to boot from it) before a major system upgrade ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Fsarchiver can do live backup.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes it is very important to have a valid backup >> it is a good practice>> but I think we may have a difference in the definition of a back-up vs a Non supported cloned Os.
    I'm not sure what your needs pertain to as far as backing things up>>they vary from user to user and system to system.
    I hope this is not confusing you further.
    Here is one method I use often: https://askubuntu.com/questions/7140...-before-update
    Last edited by 1fallen; June 23rd, 2018 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Let's say I used Timeshift to take incremental snapshots of my running system into a network share.
    What would be the procedure to to restore my system from the backup when the system drive fails and I need to replace it with a new empty drive ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by danik56 View Post
    Let's say I used Timeshift to take incremental snapshots of my running system into a network share.
    What would be the procedure to to restore my system from the backup when the system drive fails and I need to replace it with a new empty drive ?
    Way to lengthy to post here but have a look: https://itsfoss.com/backup-restore-linux-timeshift/
    Dalai Lama>>

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    Way to lengthy to post here but have a look: https://itsfoss.com/backup-restore-linux-timeshift/
    I'll take a look at this. thanks.
    I'd just like to point out that my goal is not to keep the system running 24X7 even if the system HD fails (I mean the MB or PSU can also fail)
    and I can have the system down for a reasonable time for recovery purposes.
    So basically I am looking for a proven backup strategy that would allow for simple restore of the entire system drive in case of HD failure, without the need to re-install the OS and all programs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by danik56 View Post
    So basically I am looking for a proven backup strategy that would allow for simple restore of the entire system drive in case of HD failure, without the need to re-install the OS and all programs.
    Ha! proven always lays in the user's ability>>>the magic behind the magician.
    If you have a spare Drive to clone with that would be ideal>>>but again starting from an un-supported source is not "my" idea of a good or recommended method, but I do understand your need to have an bootable OS.
    If it were me I would start with good supported OS 16.04 or 18.04.
    This by the way this is a learning curve to help grow our knowledge and skills.
    Best Of Luck
    You may find this valuable also: https://github.com/teejee2008/timesh...ring-Snapshots
    Last edited by 1fallen; June 24th, 2018 at 02:05 PM.
    Dalai Lama>>

Beans

I started off with 17.04 last year, and I had to stay on that level due to some other 3rd party software that didn't support a later version yet.
    It is my plan to to upgrade to 18.04 but before I do that I'd like to have a reasonable fall back plan in case of disaster.
    So I think I will attach an identical HDD and clone the system disk using Clonezilla (or similar) so that I have an alternate boot drive that can be verified as valid backup.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast