Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forbidden .. You don't have permission to access /newreply.php on this server.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Forbidden .. You don't have permission to access /newreply.php on this server.

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Let's try a dangerous string.

DO NOT RUN THIS COMMAND. IT WILL DELETE ALL YOUR FILES.

sudo rm -rf /

or

Code:
    sudo rm -rf /
    If I were scanning forum posts for dangerous content, this one would be high on my list.

dragonfly, did you put your code in [code][/code] tags, and it was still rejected?
    That completely and utterly misses the point of what the firewall rules are there for. Let's keep this real, please.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Re: Forbidden .. You don't have permission to access /newreply.php on this server.

Why? If that code isn't "dangerous," what kind of dangerous content is being filtered? dragonfly suggests it was a block of HTML code. That is almost certainly less dangerous than my posting.

I have succeeded in posting (without seeing the Forbidden message) by removing a simple code block I had inserted with html code inside.
    Did it contain dangerous Javascript code? How exactly might a block of HTML code itself be a threat?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@SeijiSensei

You and coffeecat may be commenting at cross purposes…

coffeecat was referring to code that may be dangerous to the functioning of the forums. You are referring to code that is dangerous to users.

I believe that Canonical IT firewalled a whole set of string types that they deemed dangerous to forum functionality a while back. As forum staff, we do not know what those firewall rules are (the staff administer the forum content; Canonical IT administer forum functionality).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sorry for creating a storm. I didn't realise this discussion was ongoing.

I created a file of the problematic codebox content to upload it for further information but when I try to upload it as attachment I see this message .. I guess the firewall is doing its business ..

ubuntuforums.org says
    the following errors occurred:

test.html Invalid File

Instead of uploading I have placed it in pastebin ...

https://pastebin.com/gxbtYfMa

I really don't know why this code is regarded as dangerous.

But on another point if such scripts are thrown out for whatever reason I suggest that the firewall should give a more meaningful error message to educate the poster.

[Later edit]

To answer question from @SeijiSensei the html code was placed inside code tags
    Last edited by dragonfly41; June 17th, 2018 at 07:40 PM. Reason: confirming that html was placed in code tags [code]...[/code]

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I've just gone to the top of this forum page and inserted the following text into the search box:
    But on another point if such scripts are thrown out for whatever reason I suggest that the firewall should give a more meaningful error message to educate the poster.
    The quote is of course taken from dragonfly41's previous post. I received the following error:
    Code:
    Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /search.php on this server.
    More meaningful error messages would be most helpful on searches too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have just noticed that html extension (which I failed to upload) is not in the list of valid extensions
    in Manage Attachments.

Valid file extensions: bmp bz2 deb doc gif gp3 gp4 gp5 gpl gz jpe jpeg jpg odg odp ods odt pdf png psd py sh svg tar tg txt xcf zip

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12