Thread: HP Officejet 6500 not auto detected by xsane - scanimage with device URL works

Beans

Question HP Officejet 6500 not auto detected by xsane - scanimage with device URL works

Dear all,

I'm trying to scan something with xsane but i'm unable to do so:
    Problem is that i'm unable to detect my wifi network scanner with scanimage -L or when invoking xsane or simple scan.
    As i'm usually scanning from a shell script for which i recorderd the scan URL i'm still able to scan if i tell scanimage the device URL. For xsane however i can't do that. sane-find-scanner doesn't find scanners either. This seems to be since i upgraded from 16.04 to 18.04

So to summarize

• My goal is to use xsane.
    • This fails as xsane is not detcting any devices (as does scanimage -L) after launched
    • invoking scaneimage with device on the cli works (e.g. scanimage -d hpaio:/net/Officejet_6500_E710n-z?zc=HPE87D94 > test1.jpg works fine)
    • my scanner is an HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z all in one mfd
    • in 16.04 things were fine. In 18.04 where i'm now it's not

Things i already tried were:

Any Ideas?

Best Regards
    Philipp

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: HP Officejet 6500 not auto detected by xsane - scanimage with device URL works

Upgrading can often cause such problems and is why I don't do it anymore: I do clean installs. Have you installed hplip yet? You may have to do that to get the scanner portion recognized.

Just a heads up for you and others: when I wiped 16.04 and did a clean install of 18.04, my wireless HP laser scanner/printer was turned on. The installer found it and installed EVERYTHING without me having to do a thing.