Thread: Ubuntu consistently crashing

Beans

Ubuntu consistently crashing

Hello,
    I recently installed Ubuntu after deciding that I needed to upgrade from Linux Mint. After a few tries, I managed to install Ubuntu on my desktop and replaced Linux Mint. I however ran into a problem where every few minutes after opening a few windows, Ubuntu would crash. While I had crashes on Linux Mint, they were nowhere near as common as the crashes I am facing right now in Ubuntu. The crashes happen where an individual window will stop responding, and then the mouse and keyboard and screen will freeze up indefinitely as well. I will consistently crash a few minutes after booting. I installed Ubuntu 18.04 and I am using Kernel 4.16.6. I also made sure to install the NVIDIA drivers for my GTX970 graphics card, but that hasn't seemingly had an impact on reducing the crashes. I don't really know why these crashes are happening, and I would like not to go back to Linux Mint. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu consistently crashing

How and why did you install kernel 4.16.6.1; did you have problems with the default 4.15 series?
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

Re: Ubuntu consistently crashing

Yes, I was having problems with the default kernel, and I heard that updating it might fix the problem. I then added the PPA for Ukuu and installed Ukuu to update the kernel, but neither kernel stopped the crashes.