Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: softwareupdater/apt update/apt dist-upgrade?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: softwareupdater/apt update/apt dist-upgrade?

ok thanks. that is fine and i do not mind doing it via terminal. the commands are memorized by now.

a point of clarification i guess. i run the commands every 2-3-4 days as such. sometimes i see security updates/releases posted on a linux news site and i run the commands. sometimes i just run them every few days as a routine. I ran them on 3 laptops yesterday morning early before i went out to work. they downloaded and applied stuff. came back in later wanted to check ubuntu software but hit software update instead and another one ran which i thought was weird for 2 in 1 day. all 3 laptops had the same software updates too. So ----- i had to ask. it was probably a fluke that the second update happened; but that made me wonder if an aspect was not updated doing the command line method. Hope this clarifies my cause and hence question...
    Last edited by howefield; June 27th, 2018 at 11:27 AM. Reason: posts merged.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bodhin2 View Post
    ok thanks. that is fine and i do not mind doing it via terminal. the commands are memorized by now.

Terminal command histories can be accessed by scrolling back with the up/down arrow keys.
    So you might only need to enter a command once, then scroll back to it whenever you need to run it again.

That said, on Desktop installs the preferred way is always use the graphical application.
    It's why they are there, right?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That's what i thought until in anther distro they said the preferred was was terminal. also there was a gui glitch when it comes to y/n un upgrade for example. not possible and it would freeze or never complete. that is why the dumb questions here in ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

To expand a bit on what deadflowr said,
    Code:
    history
    will show you a numbered list of commands you've run. If there's one you want to use again, use
    Code:
    !123
    where 123 is the command you want to repeat. Bash is a pretty nice, useful thing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks for everyone's help and knowledge!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I've been collecting commands in a gedit/text document since I started with Ubuntu which comes in handy.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

i had a file of stuff that was needed t fix another distro, i started a new one for ubuntu but have not collected all of the info due to my work schedule. small homestead farm and way too much for an old crippled one man band to do. but will try to do some catch up on slower rain days before it just gets too crazy and i can't find all of the stuff i nned to collect.
    e

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12