Thread: Nautilus randomly stops responding after inserting USB drive.

Beans

Nautilus randomly stops responding after inserting USB drive.

Since the past couple days Nautilus sometimes (at random) stops responding when I insert a USB drive. Normally, after inserting the drive a drive icon appears in the dock, and a new Files window opens showing the contents of the drive. The problem occurs where I see the icon but no window pops up. At this stage I click on the icon and the mouse cursor changes to that disk shaped busy cursor, rotates for approx. 10 seconds, then switches to the mouse arrow and nothing happens. I click the drive icon again and nothing happens. At this stage I click any drive icon and nothing happens, and any open Nautilus window already open greys out and stops responding. I have to log out and back in to restore the function.

Usually everything works well, so I can't duplicate the problem at will. It's happened 3 times out of maybe 20 USB drive insertions, and the issue is very recent - 2 days. This has occurred with different flash drives and HDD bridge adapters, in different USB ports. That's why I figure Nautilus is getting stuck in a loop for some reason.
    Last edited by danthonyd; June 14th, 2018 at 03:48 AM.