Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snap applications

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Snap applications

With communitheme the snap applications Terminal, Calculator and System Monitor used transparency.
    They are now working on my Cosmic Cuttlefish installation. The transparency is gone. There are however some error messages.
    Code:
    Jun  2 07:59:58 pi-MS-7A34 gnome-calculato[14759]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:2662:72: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.
    Jun  2 08:01:08 pi-MS-7A34 gnome-terminal-[14909]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:2662:72: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.
    Jun  2 08:01:33 pi-MS-7A34 gnome-system-mo[14932]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:2662:72: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.
    It's not working on Ubuntu 18.04
    Last edited by P-I H; June 2nd, 2018 at 09:44 AM.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Snap applications

I think I'm seeing something different here.

To clarify, the regular deb versions of the Calculator and System Monitor using Communitheme are working correctly in 18.10. But the snap versions are broken in that they are totally transparent and therefore unusable. I'm seeing this issue with Communitheme from both the stable and edge channels.

Is there a snap version of gnome-terminal? I can't seem to find one.
    Code:
    paul@paul-VirtualBox:~$ snap install gnome-terminal
    error: snap "gnome-terminal" not found
    "snap search" doesn't find gnome-terminal either.

Where are those errors being logged?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    I think I'm seeing something different here.

To clarify, the regular deb versions of the Calculator and System Monitor using Communitheme are working correctly in 18.10. But the snap versions are broken in that they are totally transparent and therefore unusable. I'm seeing this issue with Communitheme from both the stable and edge channels.

Is there a snap version of gnome-terminal? I can't seem to find one.
    Code:
    paul@paul-VirtualBox:~$ snap install gnome-terminal
    error: snap "gnome-terminal" not found
    "snap search" doesn't find gnome-terminal either.

Where are those errors being logged?
    +1
    I wonder if OP ran
    Code:
    env
    when first logged in would show anything helpful.
    I know if a wayland session is used then it dose not load Communitheme fast enough but a second login loads Communitheme fine.
    xorg session is fine though on my end.
    Last edited by 1fallen; June 7th, 2018 at 03:48 PM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro

Thanks 1fallen, you prompted me to log into a Wayland session. Both the Calculator and System Monitor display correctly using Communitheme. It's Xorg that breaks those applications. I must remember to think Wayland more often.

There's probably a lot on the Community Hub that I should be reading but the relevant threads are getting very long and I don't find the technical stuff re themes that interesting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It's Xorg that breaks those applications. I must remember to think Wayland more often.
    PaulW2U did you then try to login to xorg from wayland, and was it any different?
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    PaulW2U did you then try to login to xorg from wayland, and was it any different?
    In an Xorg session, both applications are again transparent.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sounds like bug reporting time again.
    Thanks for checking PaulW2U.
    Dalai Lama>>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There is a bug report and discussion about the transparency
    https://github.com/ubuntu/gtk-communitheme/issues

However on my installation of Cosmic with the 14.17 kernel the snap versions are working as intended.
    I am not able to check this further as my system crashed this morning.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by P-I H View Post
    There is a bug report and discussion about the transparency
    https://github.com/ubuntu/gtk-communitheme/issues
    I'll take a look, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    Sounds like bug reporting time again.
    Thanks for checking PaulW2U.
    I'm not sure I've reported back to you correctly now 1fallen. It's confusing having two supposedly identical calculators installed but from different sources and then having to work out which is which.

So in a Wayland session I uninstalled both calculators. I installed the deb version and it was correctly themed with Communitheme. I uninstalled that and installed the snap version. No Communitheme but Ambiance. So it looks like Communitheme doesn't work at all with Wayland but makes the calculator totally transparent with Xorg. System Monitor also shows the same results but I can't start both versions at the same time.

The attached screenshot shows my desktop when both calculators were installed.

Perhaps someone who knows a little more than I do can confirm my revised findings?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

So in a Wayland session I uninstalled both calculators. I installed the deb version and it was correctly themed with Communitheme. I uninstalled that and installed the snap version. No Communitheme but Ambiance. So it looks like Communitheme doesn't work at all with Wayland but makes the calculator totally transparent with Xorg. System Monitor also shows the same results but I can't start both versions at the same time.

The attached screenshot shows my desktop when both calculators were installed.

Perhaps someone who knows a little more than I do can confirm my revised findings?
    Yup that's my findings also on "wayland" but for me at least xorg session works fine I have Nvidia Drivers installed? I wonder if P-I H has Nvidia, I know he reports that kernel 4.17 is working for him.
    Hard to triage with this kind of information being reported. Maybe wait and see if Jbicha has anything to say.
    Dalai Lama>>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast