Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geforce 6600 PCI-E and games....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

Geforce 6600 PCI-E and games....

I'm running Hoary for amd64 with the latest nvidia drivers and I'm getting low frame rates.
    My computer is a Athlon 64 3500+ 1GB ram with a Geforce 6600 256ram and UT2004 and Doom 3 I'm getting about 40 to 60 FPS...they are still playable because it's a very steady frame rate.I run both games at 1024x768 with all maxed out with full features and when I drop some detail and/or resolution it doesn't make a diference.When I run windows I got 110 FPS in UT2004.Is something I am missing?Are the drivers fully optimized for PCI-Express?Is anyone having the same results?
    Thanks!

Pedro Carrico

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Geforce 6600 PCI-E and games....

Quote Originally Posted by negatory
    I'm running Hoary for amd64 with the latest nvidia drivers and I'm getting low frame rates.
    My computer is a Athlon 64 3500+ 1GB ram with a Geforce 6600 256ram and UT2004 and Doom 3 I'm getting about 40 to 60 FPS...they are still playable because it's a very steady frame rate.I run both games at 1024x768 with all maxed out with full features and when I drop some detail and/or resolution it doesn't make a diference.When I run windows I got 110 FPS in UT2004.Is something I am missing?Are the drivers fully optimized for PCI-Express?Is anyone having the same results?
    Thanks!

Pedro Carrico
    The PCIe may be the factor there - I have no idea what support in Linux is like for that. I know AGP has been around so long most of the bugs are worked out. What kind of chipset are you using? If it's the NForce4 - good support should be there.
    "If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA"

- Armageddon Days are Here Again - The The

Beans

Thanks!

Pedro Carrico
    I have an Nvidia 6600 based graphics card working quite happily with Hoary.

A few points to consider:

- You will need to execute the following commands to get it working:

# sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
    # sudo nvidia-glx-config enable
    # sudo reboot

- You should then get the nvidia splash screen when X starts.

- I have found that I have to re-run "sudo nvidia-glx-config enable" each time I upgrade Hoary, to get the driver working again.

- When I run "glxgears" from a command prompt, I get about 4000 FPS, when the nvidia driver is working.

Edit: Note that I don't think the PCI-E interface is an issue. I suspect that this is handled at the hardware/bios level and does not cause any concerns with Hoary.

Hope this helps.

Mal
    Last edited by mal; April 5th, 2005 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Additional information.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

I've no problems with the drivers besides the performance loss in UT2004.Don't know about Doom 3 but in Unreal there is a big diference between Windows performance and Linux.My glxgears gives me 3700fps.Is this diference normal?I remember that when I was running a P3 667 with a riva TNT2 Ultra I could get better fps in Quake 3 Linux than in Windows.My question is,are the Nvidia drivers with PCI-Express running at full speed under linux?AGP has been around for quite some time and I know people having similar performance between operating system with AGP cards.
    Thanks for your replies.

Pedro Carrico

Beans

[...]My question is,are the Nvidia drivers with PCI-Express running at full speed under linux?AGP has been around for quite some time and I know people having similar performance between operating system with AGP cards.[...]
    Well, I know of several people with PCI-E Nvidia 6x00 cards getting 10k+ framerates in 'glxgears' (if that's even a reliable benchmark). I get ~4500 fps myself with my measly Ti-4600 @24-bit depth. Sounds like something is misconfigured or missing from your setup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

Hmmm...my point exactly!But I've been upgrading the drivers and have the k8 kernel.Don't know what it can be...
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Does your board use a VIA or nVidia chipset?
    "If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA"

- Armageddon Days are Here Again - The The

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

My motherboard is a A8N-SLI Deluxe (Nvidia NForce 4).Any clues?
    I had DRI enabled in my xorg.conf but removing it didn't make a diference.
    Thanks.

Pedro Carrico

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

I've changed my ram speed settings in my BIOS to 1T (thank Titus for that) and I notice a big speed improvement in UT2004 (average FPS 90 ) but the glxgears fps stay the same.

Pedro Carrico

Beans

I've no problems with the drivers besides the performance loss in UT2004.Don't know about Doom 3 but in Unreal there is a big diference between Windows performance and Linux.My glxgears gives me 3700fps.Is this diference normal?I remember that when I was running a P3 667 with a riva TNT2 Ultra I could get better fps in Quake 3 Linux than in Windows.My question is,are the Nvidia drivers with PCI-Express running at full speed under linux?AGP has been around for quite some time and I know people having similar performance between operating system with AGP cards.
    Thanks for your replies.

Pedro Carrico
    I'm not really sure how much of boost the 6600GT is over a 6600, but my glxgears runs 7800fps and 115 in Linux DOOM3. I haven't tweaked anything from stock. This is on a A8N-SLI Deluxe with a Athlon 64 3200+. That was under 7167 drivers. I haven't tried things under 7174 yet. Most people say 7174 is faster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast