Thread: Randomly freezing mouse pointer on Ubuntu desktop

Beans

Randomly freezing mouse pointer on Ubuntu desktop

Mouse pointer freezes for no apparent reason while using.
    Sometimes the mouse is un-clickable, but still moves around.
    Sometimes the entire thing becomes frozen.
    Usually I try Alt + F2, which sometimes apprears, other times not. No commands I type in work, but just pulling it up and closing it will free the pointer up at 75% of the time.
    Other times I use alt + sysrq + R|S|E|I|S|B
    Yet other times if I wait long enough, it unfreezes itself (up to 3 minutes)
    On rare occasions do I have to re-start the entire machine.

I have bought a new mouse, and done a memcheck (about 90 minutes)

This happens at least once an hour, meaning the machine is unusable anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes and hour.

I switched to linux 100% about a month ago (no dual boot), and the mouse has been a problem since converting.
    I love linux, but this is turning into a deal breaker.
    I really don't want to go back to the Dark $ide.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
    CPU Intel Core i5-6400 CPU @ 2.71 GHz 1 physical processor; 4 cores; 4 threads
    RAM: 7954528 KiB
    Motherboard: Acer Aspire TC-780
    Graphics: 3520 x 1080 Mesqa DRI Inter HD Graphics 530 (skylake GT2), The X.org foundation
    Last edited by zulubanshee; June 11th, 2018 at 10:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Randomly freezing mouse pointer on Ubuntu desktop

It sounds more like a hardware problem than a software problem. How many USB things do you have plugged in? Are they in a powered or non powered hub?

I would try removing all USB hookups except for the mouse and keyboard and see what happens. If everything is good then, you need to look for a powered hub possibly.

Just a side note: I had an HP Slimline machine doing exactly what you are having. However, if I hooked up an old non-laser mouse, it worked fine. I first thought of a bad/weak power supply. But swapping it out for a known good power supply did not fix the problem. Further diagnosing found that the ancient 1TB hard drive was sucking too much power and causing the 5V line to go low. Replaced HD and all was well.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Randomly freezing mouse pointer on Ubuntu desktop

I had a couple of wired mice that started behaving like that. I trashed them and bought several Logitech wireless mice, models M325c and M317c. At my workplace, they only have Logitech wireless mice and keyboards.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/