Thread: WI-FI keeps dropping for BROADCOM BCM43142 wireless card on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Beans

WI-FI keeps dropping for BROADCOM BCM43142 wireless card on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

My WI-FI keeps dropping every 2minutes and I have to reconnect manually each time.I tried the solution given at https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2214110 .I went through the thread and it looks like I already have the correct driver (bcmwl-kernel-source) for my pci.id.Someone then suggested I use another driver which I installed using the code
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential dkms
    wget http://ubuntu-master.mirror.tudos.de/ubuntu/pool/multiverse/b/broadcom-sta/broadcom-sta-dkms_6.30.223.271-5_all.deb
    sudo dpkg -i broadcom-sta-dkms_6.30.223.271-5_all.deb 
    sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source
    echo "blacklist b43" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    and the problem still persist.Someone also suggested I set my ipv6 to ignored.It made the network manager to always remain in connected state although the WI-FI had dropped and I still have to reconnect manually every 2 minutes or so.I also added a script to /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d so that I don't have to reconnect manually everytime but it also doesn't work:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

if [ "$CONNECTION_UUID" = " *********" ]; then
        if [ "$2" = "down" ]; then
            sleep 10
            nmcli con up uuid $CONNECTION_UUID
        fi
    fi
    My wireless info script output:
    https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/TzvF8r2vDF/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: WI-FI keeps dropping for BROADCOM BCM43142 wireless card on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Disable UFW as it appears to be blocking multicast

Beans

Re: WI-FI keeps dropping for BROADCOM BCM43142 wireless card on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

I did that
    sudo ufw disable
    but the problem is still there wifi disconnects every 2 minutes

Beans

Hi,disabling ufw did not help any help would be appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The signal strength is fairly low, you may want to get a USB wifi adapter with external antenna

Beans

but it was not low when i was using windows 10 on the same laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Try Ubuntu 16.04.1 and see if the signal strength is good using the 4.4 kernel as I have heard complaint about signal strength on the newer kernels