Thread: How can I temporarily prevent sleep or suspend while an app is running?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question How can I temporarily prevent sleep or suspend while an app is running?

An app called Caffeine keeps the system awake while certain actions are active, e.g. watching a video. It used to be configurable, so that you could (for example) set Caffeine to activate automatically when a specific program was running, and deactivate when it ended.

Unfortunately, the configuration options were removed (deliberately — why?), so that only the default actions work. That doesn't work for me, because I want to activate it when a specific program is running, e.g. my backup script.

Therefore, I'm looking for a way to temporarily prevent sleep or suspend. I'm happy to write a simple script, such as something in cron. My problem is that I don't know how to programmatically disable and enable sleep and suspend.

A configurable alternative to Caffeine would also work for me.

What can you recommend for me, please?

Note that I'm running Lubuntu, not Ubuntu; version 16.04, soon to upgrade to 18.04.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How can I temporarily prevent sleep or suspend while an app is running?

I'm not sure about 16.04 as I don't have it any more and have moved to Lubuntu-18.04 but in 18.04 there is a Computer icon in my system tray showing the computer is plugged into power from mains (it's a desktop so no battery).

If I right click on that I get a context menu option to enable "Presentation mode" which does exactly what you want, ie, it disables the Power-manager and stops any sleep or even a screensaver, if you use one, I think, though I'm not certain about that.

I have to use this when using my desktop as a plexmedia-server as otherwise I get partway through a movie on my TV and suddenly it all disappears; very annoying.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@ajgreeny thank you. I have the icon and had completely forgotten about it!

I wanted something automatic (sorry that I didn't make it clear in my question), but the icon will do as a workaround in the meantime.

Now, I just have to find out how the icon does its thing so that I can duplicate it programmatically!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ah… Now that I know the name "presentation mode", I can search using that term. And I found this.
    Code:
    # Toggle presentation mode.
    xfconf-query --channel xfce4-power-manager --property /xfce4-power-manager/presentation-mode --toggle

# Turn on presentation mode
    xfconf-query --channel xfce4-power-manager --property /xfce4-power-manager/presentation-mode --set true

# Turn off presentation mode
    xfconf-query --channel xfce4-power-manager --property /xfce4-power-manager/presentation-mode --set false
    I want to find out the various options available to the property, but try as I might, I cannot find the documentation! Never mind, at least I have my answer.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
    Last edited by Paddy Landau; June 2nd, 2018 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Use long arguments