Thread: Can't connect to the network

Beans

Can't connect to the network

Hello,

I'm running ubuntu 16.04 on vmware, my vm network adapter is set to share with my mac (I know mac isn't the best choice, I plan to get a pc in the fall)

I'm new to ubuntu, this forum, and posting to forums in general, so I'm sorry in advance if I do something wrong.
    I'm currently in an intro to Linux class and we are working on networking. I'm having problems with my system and can't get ahold of my professor. We've done some messing around with the network settings, but I reverted to an old snapshot so the settings would be back to normal. Unfortunately I didn't save the system state before reverting to the old snapshot. The snapshot I am using now doesn't seem to be able to connect to the network. I've tried the following commands (the results are listed in each sub bullet point)

• ping www.google.com

• sudo apt-get install upgrade
      • E: Unable to locate package upgrade

• sudo apt-get install
      • 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

• when I try to ping another ip address on my LAN
      • connect: Network is unreachable

• sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
      • [ok] Restarting networking (via systemctl): networking.service.
      • If I try pinging after that, I get the same response as shown above, nothing changes

• ip a
      • 1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1

link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    indet 127.00.0.1/8 scope host lo
    valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/120 scope host
    2: ens33: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:0c:29:d8:30:77 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet6 fe80::20c:29ff:fed8:3077/64 scope link

• cat /etc/network/interfaces

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
    auto ens33
    iface ens33 inte dhcp

• I've also tried installing a new ubuntu vm, but whenever I do, the system can't connect to the dhcp server. This makes me wonder if there's an issue with more than just my one vm. But I have a CentOS vm on the same computer that connects to the network just fine, and successfully pings google. The CentOS vm has two network adapters, one static and one using dhcp, both network adapters are connected by sharing with my mac.

I'm hoping someone can help me reconnect my system to the network or fix whatever is going on. Thanks!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Can't connect to the network

Thread moved to Virtualisation for a more appropriate fit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Hey rudy... so ping and apt-get aren't working because they can't resolve the hostnames to IP addresses which means they can't access a DNS server (which is typically supplied by the DHCP process). The "ip a" command you've used is correct and it should be listing an IP address for your network interface labelled ens33...see my output below for comparison...

Code:
    $ ip a
    1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
        link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
        inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
    2: ens3: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000
        link/ether 52:54:00:76:fe:b2 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        inet 192.168.1.100/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global ens3
    See i use IPv4 addresses so mine is 192.168.1.100 in a /24 subnet...pretty basic stuff, but you don't got one of these

Your config in /etc/network/interfaces is saying to us DHCP on the ens33 interface which should work (provided your network has a DHCP server in it and you've correctly configured vmware) however you have a typo in the syntax here...

# The primary network interface
    auto ens33
    iface ens33 inte dhcp

"inte" is the bad boy here, this should be "inet" like you have it for the loopback interface above. So fix this and restart the networking service or reboot and you should be ready to rock n roll!

Please post back if this does/doesn't solve it for you and please also mark the thread as solved as such.

Best of luck with the course.
    Last edited by KillerKelvUK; June 1st, 2018 at 12:56 PM.

Beans

Hello, thanks for being willing to help!

Yes, sorry, that was a typo on my part while copying the info to the forum. My /etc/network/interfaces does say inet. You raise a good point about how ens33 is missing my IPv4 address, I'm not sure how it was removed or how to add it back. Any thoughts?
    Also when I power on the vm, the boot sequence gets hung up with red *** bouncing between brackets and the message "A start job is running for Raise network interfaces (2min 3s / 5min 8s)"
    Last edited by rudy558; June 1st, 2018 at 09:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Darn it, simple usually wins but not in this case.

Okay lets see so your guest is complaining right from the start it can't raise the network interface so lets first check how you've configured the guest in vmware. When you say its set to be shared with your mac, can you post a screen shot of this configuration? I'm not familiar with vmware but is there not a "bridged" networking mode you could select?

Beans

Ok, I just switched it to bridged, and that seems to have allowed me to ping google, which is AWESOME! Thank you! However, I just trided to install nginx for the assignment and got this as the response:

• sudo apt-get install ngix
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package nginx

Do you think this is related or a separate issue?
    Last edited by rudy558; June 2nd, 2018 at 12:51 AM.

Beans

Nevermind, I was able to fix that problem by using
    sudo apt-get update

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

glad you got it sorted.